Sign in to follow this  
sodaksker

New Ranger = NEW PB help with weight

Well my neighbor got a new Ranger Reatta and just had to get it out on the water today....And of course, I just had to go with him to see what these big $ rigs were all about. I have to say that It was a sweet ride with lots of space. It had a small rear deck but, a nice front deck. And of course, he got all these freebies with his new purchase, like a loomis rod,tackle bag, 25 new rapalas, ranger hats, tools and of course a scale but, do you think he remembered to bring the scale. Of course not.

We had temps in the mid low 50's and 10-20mph winds. I was fishing A 1/2 oz black and blue jig, from KaRu lures. We only had our lines wet for about 15 minutes when my line got heavy and I set the hook on my new pb. The only camera we had was of course my cell phone and my partner managed to cut most of my head out. This fish was a hair over 24 inches and was a "toad".

The fish calculator says a 24" bass weighs 7.86 lbs. This thing could have been pushing 10(in my dreams). A scale could have been handy today, atleast I got the length. Luckily his new boat had a built in tape right on the rear live well. Too bad I could not enter her in the state to state contest. With Iowas 10.75 state record I could have had a decent score. Well here she is anyway. By the way it was the only fish we caught today and it was all I needed.

and here she is on the back deck for measuring, you can't make out the built tape measure, it is aluminum.

post-2737-13016298486_thumb.jpeg

do you think he remembered to bring the scale.  Of course not.  

That's ok, you got the big fish and slimed his new carpet!   ;D

Congrats!

Guys,

Thanks for the kind words but, I can't stop beating myself up over this fish's weight. This thing was a hair over 24" and fat. The lame pics do no justice either, note ( I am not holding that fish out, my right nuckle is on my chin). Ok, so I'm beggin here a little. ::)

Question going out to all you guys who regularly catch big fish.

RAndall, Fish Chris, four biz and any others I am not mentioning.

What is the shortest DD any of you have caught? What would your typical 24" prespawn female weigh? I know, to a lot of you guys, this fish is not all that big, but for northwest Iowa, It may well be the biggest Bass I will ever catch. She is back swimming and I know where she lives but, who knows if she will be alive next year. She had to be fairly old.

thanks

Tut

I would say the fish caculator is fairly accurate, looks to me to be around 7. This one weighed 8.00 on Burley's scales which he said was right and I am holding this one close to my body as well and to my eyes it is just as long but a little fatter. Caught this one while fishing with Randall so he would be better to give you a comparison estimate.

Oh yeah nice fish yo got there, send me about 5 of those for my tourny tommorow.

8lber2-1.jpg

Id say the calculators right, even if its not thats a killer fish. Heres my PB that was 24. Yours looks to be fatter than mine and mine went 7.5-ish.

24InchTrophyBass.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys,  I knew I needed a reality check.  Now it is time to start chasing something bigger.

Not saying I know but here are some 24 inchers:

6 lbs, 1 oz

4 lbs, 2 oz

5 lbs, 15 oz

4 lbs, 9 oz

Obviously, there can be a wide range of weights with the same length. I think your's is heavier than those above but it's hard to tell.

Dan

X2 I caught 2 22in bass in the same spot within a few casts and they were about a lb apart. The bigger one is my DP.

Very nice fish, especially for this God foresaken state ;D

I would say the fish calculator is right, kind of like Lightningrod's experience, I have caught 3 fish that were 23.5" in Iowa and witnessed one and their weights ranged from 6-10 to 7-14, with a 6-13 and a 7-12 in between.  I know the state record of 10-12 was a 23.5 inch fish but that had to be an insanely fat and thick fish.  I would say the calculator is close ;)

Congrats on your fish! That is a GREAT fish especially in your area. I agree that a 24" should be 5-7 pounds. Its hard to tell by pics my guess would be 6-7 pounds but regardless it is an awesome bass. CONGRATS!

Nice bass  ;)

The shortest I've caught was 11.5 lbs 22 in length x 20.5 in girth; typical 24 bass would be some where in the 12-15 lb range depending on girth.

typical 24 bass would be some where in the 12-15 lb range depending on girth.
Could be, but there is no way that fish is 12-15lbs. I also guess about 6-7lbs. Nice fish! 8-)

Nice bass ;)

The shortest I've caught was 11.5 lbs 22 in length x 20.5 in girth; typical 24 bass would be some where in the 12-15 lb range depending on girth.

Catt,

I assume you are talking about a prespawn fish, or just trying to answer to my begging.  Anyway, thanks for helping my ego ;D

Well it looks like we have pinpointed your fish's weight. It is exactly between 4 and 15 pounds :P

Whatever it is, it is a great accomplishment.

What a fat sow. I think it is close if not over 8#s