Sign in to follow this  
Laggyman

Removing 3x Treble Hooks

Any advice unhooking fish from a lure with 3 treble hooks dangling around?? I can handle 2 hooks easily, but once the 3rd comes in I'm hopeless.

I caught a fish on a Jerkbait today with 3 hooks, I had to hold him a lot longer than I would have wanted because as soon as I removed 1 hook, the other(s) would get stuck.... And I hooked myself in the end....

Advice please!  ;)

Haha, that is a million dollar question if I have ever seen one....

(in elmer fudd voice) be vewwy, vewwy caweful!!!!

also common sense so im sure ya know but im gonna throw it out there anyhow, if its 3 trebles and its taking awhile, everytime you take a break make sure to submerge the bass completely while holding him so he can, if you wanna call it this "take a break as well" while you regroup to get the other trebles out

Yup, I always keep a litgh hold on the lower jaw of the Bass until they swim off by themselves. Sometimes they show the hatred by clamping down on my thumb before they go. It feels like wrapping your thumb in sandpaper.  And it hurts when there is a newly created cut that is bleeding  :-/

Haha yeah i get that often when i go on my week long vacation in the summer, by the end of the week i have to put a band aid on my right thumb cause those teeth hurt so much after awhile lol, a little unmanly but o well

It seems to help with taking out the back treble first, and moving forward to the front treble.

It seems to help with taking out the back treble first, and moving forward to the front treble.

I'll try that out and see how I do ;) Thanks for the suggestion!

What if I remove the middle hook?? Hook-up rates might or might not take a big hit... mmm....

Just be careful when unhooking. Look at the situation and evaluate which hooks would be easiest to get out first. Patience is a virtue when it comes to this  ;) -WM