Sign in to follow this  
lookin4lunkers

Ever have this happen?

Well the bite has finally picked up here in central Ar. We were fishing a large pond the last weekend it was a couple of hours before dark and I had my kids and one of thier friends with me. We hadn't been there 20 minutes and each of us had caught one or two in the 1 to 11/2 pound range. I knew it was going to be a good evening. It had been raining on and off all day but had quite for the time being and was starting to clear off, except for one dark cloud back in the west.  I was paying attention to some stumps I was approaching and had made my first cast to them when all of a sudden the tornado sirens started going off.I looked back to the west and the cloud had grown. Needless to say we got out of there.  Lunker

for me its kind of hard to have a tornado but anythings possible up here on the top of the catskill mountains in ny.   I am always scared of wind or my electric motor running out of battery which always happens when u dont pay attention.  Winds always suddenly come

Luckily we dont have any type of tornados in washington, Maybe hale from a big cold front and a every once in a while t-storm.

Man these days those weather men can't predict weather, I had fished last year and it was a beautiful day clouds were off and on until wind started to pick up clouds got dark and out poped a thunderstorm got out of the lake quick! :o

sounds like a time me and dad went fishing... not a cloud in the sky... we were fishing in a little cove, so there were trees everywhere.  we decided to change spots, and as soon as we got out into the main part of the lake, we saw a huge storm cloud right where we were heading to (which also happened to be where our campsite was for that weekend).  we drove for maybe 2 minutes, looked like we might make it... we could actually see our camper from where we were, then all of a sudden, we couldn't see it anymore b/c of the rain... needless to say, we got nailed by that storm and it stormed for the next 2 days... weren't even able to go out fishing again that weekend... made me so mad... but yeah, that kinda thing has happened to me a couple times

Best day of bass fishing I ever had was on a day like this. Me and a buddy of mine were fishing our very first tournament. About 9 in the morning a good strom blew in and we headed for cover. It was lighting, raining and even a little hail. It was all over by 9:45 and back out we headed. From 10 until 2 o'clock we caught a fish on very cast or very other cast on a stretch of bank about 100 yards long. There was a really stong wind after the strom and it was blowing right into this bank. Awesome number of fish that were up on that bank. We were young and didn't know anybetter and weren't reting after a few fish. Well this led to us breaking off our two big fish that we hooked.

We still managed to finish 12th place out of 108 boats that day.  We've been hooked ever since!

been there before.

i've been through 2 tornados while out fishing. the first one we all took cover in the tow vehicle and hoped for the best.  it was the only place to go.  the second one we ran the boat to a covered boat dock and then the waves and wind got so bad all we could do was lay down on the dock and hold on.  i never knew a dock could move like that!  man what a ride.  luckily in both cases everyone came out no worse for wear.

A few years back I was fishing with my twin sons (about 9 years old at the time) in a canoe on a lake in northern Wisconsin.  We were approximately 1 mile across the lake from our campsite and were fishing a rock wall along the bank.  It was dusk and a thunderstorm came suddenly over the wall and decended upon the lake.  One minute the lake was calm as glass and the next it was pouring rain and whipping waves to whitecaps.  It got so dark I could no longer see our tent site.  Fortunately my wife was there and lit a lantern so we could use it to navigate by.  I had one son sit low in the canoe and bail with a coffee mug I had brought, the other knelt in the front and did what paddling a 9 year old can and I paddled through a viscious cross wind with waves breaking periodically over the bow.  Needless to say, I was very glad to get to the tent and off that body of water.  I am an experienced canoeist but must say I was a bit anxious that evening.

yeah, but...

what bait do you use for tornado-crazed bass?

some sort of spinnerbait, I presume... ;D 8)

Here in Ohio..When a cold front moves through...You can expect some very nasty weather!

I was about 1 1/2 miles away from my car at La Due lake when a fast moving storm rolled in.. I knew my 17lb trolling motor would not get me there in time. About 10 minutes later the winds started and there was no hope.. I put on my life jacket and dropped in a senko..And rode the waves into shore.. I ended up bailing a few times with my pop can.. I started to get worried when the waves hit the boat broad side and took on alot of water. I gathered my tackle box and rods and hooked them to a few bobbers and fishing line, In case I needed to retrieve them later from the lake. But The waves pushed me right into the shore where I fished the rest of the day. After the storm It was pretty good fishing!

ZoSo    

Back when when I was first married.  My wife and some of her friends in the area decided to have a decorating or tuperware party or something of that nature.  This meant at least one of the bunch was banished from the house and figured that this would by a perfect opportunity to do some gigging.  One or two would pole while  the other two would hold the light and gig.  Somebody in the boat kept saying something about a cold front suppose to come through, but he also whinned about snakes, so he became one of those people that you tend to ignore.  Besides it was only in the mid 70's.  

By about 9:00 or so it had gotten cold, and windy and continued to get worse.  We had carried some light jackets but they were more for mosquitos then artic wear.  By 10:00 ice was forming on the poles and on the boat.  Some body was pouring beer in the seats just to watch it freeze.

We had rounded up a coffee can to build a fire, but nobody had a lighter that worked.  Only one person had gloves and they were drenched and not much help.  So finally as we neared the spot where we normally kept the boat around 12:00. One person would have to pole the boat, while the other 3 warming their hands under their arms and stammerd for him to go faster.  I don't think I have ever been so cold in my life.

As I was typeing this I kept wondering why didn't we just beach the boat and walk home.  I guess it would have squashed the adventure.  

By the way my brother and I went back there yesterday morning and caught 26 fish in 3 hours. senko's, spinnerbaits, flukes and a small crome and blue crank were the baits of the day. Nothing big would bite only 1 to 1 1/2 pounders, still fun.

Tight lines  Lunker

When in high school, I was fishing with my dad on an oxbow lake off the Mississippi River when two tornadoes ripped down the lake.  Luckily we were able to get out of their paths, but one boat was struck, drowning one fisherman.  Very sad circumstances!

One day last summer a friend and myself were on a local lake about a good 15 minute run back to the launch and a bad storm came up with bad lightning and all of a sudden the boat died.  In the middle of the water no one around and a dead boat.  Luckly about 5 minutes later a pontoon came by and gave us a tow but we had to ride in the storm until we got back to the truck and soaking weter along with everthing we had.

nope, never fished durin a tornado either...  swam in the ocean when a bad storm came by, does that count?

and yeah, tornado-crazed bass like bright pink buzzbaits... hah