Sign in to follow this  
huskertko

Bow and Arrow method

I have read a couple of times about a technique to free snagged crankbaits called the Bow and Arrow method, can anyone please explain how to do this as i seem to lose my fair share of cranks.

I don't know about the bow & arrow, but buy yourself a lure retriever and you'll recover almost all of your lures. I think Raul said he fishes some of the nastiest structure on the planet and recovers his lures more than 90% of the time.

Do not do this with flourocarbon.  The line may snap at the level wind mechanism. Snapping the line (what I call this approach) is only marginally effective and likely to bury the hooks more in a snag. Use a lure retriever instead.  Spark plugs on a heavy paper clip work pretty good when slid down the line and jangled at the point of the snag.  Or invest in a real lure retriever tied to trot line.

Some people call the bow and arrow letting the tip of the rod slide down to the lure on a tight line as the angler holds onto the line ahead of the reel..  This puts your reel underwater and can damage your rod tip also when it strikes the lure or snag.  Again, I don't recommend it , but I've seen baits saved with it.

Thanks for the replies, i just read about it on Mike Iaconnelli's website and was wondering.  unfortunately, a lure retriever won't do me much good as I fish from the shore.

Like RW said I fish the nasty stuff, submerged mesquite trees are in practical terms undistructible, hang up a lure in them and all they say is "Thank You for your donation Sir !" but one thing that unsnags lures from them are lure retrivers, the type that are made from a weight and chains attached to it, easy to use and dirt cheap, they work almost always.

Why damage your precious reels and rods trying to pull a lure when all you need is a lure retriever and a couple of minutes of your time to unsnag it.

Item 28-421-057-00 in your BPS catalog.

I havent used a lure retriever from shore. But I have had the bow and arrow method work a couple of times. You grap the line between the bottom two giudes and pull it out so the line is tite. Then you let the line snap. If your lucky it will snap the bait free.  

my father just sent me a lure retriever from BPS. I almost exclusively fish from shore, and i get hung up a fair share, and have losy many precious megabass, rapala, lucky craft... well the list goes on.   ion my last trip i unsuccessfully used the lure retriever, as i got my live pointer snaged on a submerged log.  thing is, as i put it (lure retriever)on my line, there just wasnt enough of a angle to get it to my lure, i tried for more than 20 minutes to get that lure back, but i just couldnt get it down to where i was snagged.  any ideas or hints?

For bank anglers

Item 28-480-578-00 or item 28-480-580-00, telescopic lure retriever, the first one extends from 5ft to 12 ft, the second one extends from 6 1/2 ft to 18 ft.

I have had pretty good success with the bow and arrow method.  One day I was out fishing with my son and he got hung up.  He was horsing it, etc and I suggessted he just tighten the line hold the rod straight up and "fling " the line.  He did this a couple of times anf the lure came unsnagged.  He did this three time that morning.  He thought I was the smartest guy on earth!! ;D

PS:  I do however think I will buy a lure retriever, it is probably a bettter way, plus less stress put on your gear and line.

Let me tell you what I have against the bow and arrow method, you can break yor rod, you can break the teeth on the gears, if the line breaks you loose your lure, if the line doesn 't break and the lure unsnags it can come flying yor way and you can bet it 's going to land on your face.

So, for miserable 30 dollars you avoid all those probable problems.