Sign in to follow this  
LAO162

Jigs - How do you store, sort & categorize them?

Do you sort them by style, size, color, brand etc...?

I fish from the bank, so I travel fairly light.  I hope to have only one 3700 size box dedicated to jigs & worms.  However, I am beginning to stockpile jigs since I lose so many...  As I dedicate one or more 3700's to jigs, how refined should my sorting system be.  I'm thinking it will make sense to sort by weight and style.  I'm not sure about the value of separating jigs futher by color and brand.

Thanks, Leon

I have 1 3700 box with my flipping jigs, a 3700 box w/ my football jigs, and a 3700 box w/ my finesse jigs. All sorted in each box by size and color. I keep my colors simple, usualy black/blue, green pumpkin, brown/purple, and watermelon/red.

If I buy bulk, I only bring a days supply or a trip supply at a time. I keep them in what ever plastic boxes came with my large green OCHECHOBEE FATS bag

I only use jig heads with plastics stuck on them and I keep the plastics in 2 other said boxes

I sort them by rows , type and weights Left row lightest to right by wt.

Top row: Finesse /Slider type heads.

next 2 rows: shakeys  and angle/round heads and 2 types of pear heads

last 2 rows; football jig heads

I only use Dark black,brown or green and color is not that much a concern for me

I keep my rubber and silicone skirted jigs in plastic boxes by size.  All colors and head styles go into the box as long as they are the same size (different box for different size).  My system wouldn't work very well from the bank.

Thanks!  So far my color selection is pretty basic:  greenish, brownish & blackish.  I started experimenting.  Top to bottom row:  1/4,  5/16,  3/8,  1/2.  1/4 Spot Removers all the way to the other side in original packing.  I haven't paid enough attention to weight yet, so for this year I will probably not mix.  It's working out ok because I have only 2 kinds of jigs so far (and I don't need to keep the packaging to remember the brand).

I'm hoping that by concentrating on filling the 3700 box with jigs the Baitmonkey will stay focused on tackle and not be distracted by rods & reels.   :)

Two years ago I thought my box that held 3 3700's was huge.  Now, it only feels that way when I'm hauling it to the bank with 2 or 3 rods.  But, that's another topic :)

I have 2 boxes of jigs with trailers  in the box but not attached. I have natural colors in one for the lake. I keep the darker colors  for the muddy stained river in  another.. To me color is so obvious, so I sort by weight. I sometimes have trouble telling one weight from another.

I like the idea of separate boxes for clear & stained water.  It would give me incentive to keep TWO boxed fully stocked instead of just one.  (this idea is fully endorsed by the Baitmonkey :) )

Quite simply in one small tackle bag since I use only use Oldham's jigs for every season of the year, every water condition, and every type of cover.

Weights: ¼, 3/8, ½, ¾, & 1 ounce

Colors: Black/Blue, Black Neon, Black/Brown/Amber, & Junebug Blue.

I separate by type (football or flipping) and then by weight.  

I have 1 3700 box with my flipping jigs, a 3700 box w/ my football jigs, and a 3700 box w/ my finesse jigs. All sorted in each box by size and color. I keep my colors simple, usualy black/blue, green pumpkin, brown/purple, and watermelon/red.

Exactly what he said! As a matter of fact I sat in my basement yesterday and did this exact same thing.