Sign in to follow this  
BassFishingMachine

What size hook is best for 5inch GYCB senkos?

I like to use Gamakatsu offset shank hooks because I find them to be extremely sharp. So if you can recommend a specific size Gamakatsu hook that would be appreciated. I have been using size 2/0 and they don't seem to be big enough (in my opinion). I also have size 5/0 but I use them for buzzfrogs and they seem a little too big for the 5inch senkos. (I don't know they're "easy to see" when rigged in the 5inch senko, so I think this might cause less hits" Im guessing the right size hook to use for the 5inch senkos would be either a 3/0 or a 4/0, what size would you guys say?

3/0 Extra Wide Gap - both Gamakatsu and Owner work. I have also used Mustad EWG 3/0 but they are heavier than the others and increase a bit the rate of fall. But sizewise 3/0 is best....

3/0 EWG Gamakatsu Hook

Ahh, ok, have to add size 3/0 gamakatsu hooks to my list of things to buy now. I haven't had much luck with the 5inch worms here in NJ, but I think when spawning season comes a 5inch senko will intimidate the nesting bass and will end up working very well.

5/0 EWG Gammy 90% of the time. I go to a 4/0 for a slower fall. I'll occasionally go up to 5/0 Ewg Gammy superline hook, which increases the rate of fall. I have no confidence that I can get a hookset through that fat bait with anything smaller than a 4/0.

3/0 mustad extra shart worm hooks for T-Rig

Falcon Lures ''K'' Wacky Hooks  3/0 - Weedless Weighted for Wacky rig

3/0 EWG Gamakatsu Hook

Yes, indeed.  

I'm curious, when using Gammy EWG hooks with 5" senkos do you texas rig or texpose?

The reson for asking is that if I do use EWG hooks for senkos I texpose.  Don't feel comfortable texas rigging a EWG hook for senkos or worms.

More and more I'm using gammy off set shank worm hook in 4/0 or the Owner offset shank wide gap worm hook for 5" senkos and texas rigging then.  Both hooks are sproat bend, not "U" bend.  Have had no problem with hook-ups and a lot less snagging problems with bluegills pulling the hookpoint open or pulling the senko over thru brush that occurs when texposing.

If you're going to fish the original Senko instead of its cheaper options, why not use the hook that GY designed? I use their 4/0 size for the 5" Senko and the Sugoi in its other sizes for 95% of my other soft-plastic baits too. It has proven itself time and again over the last 9 years or so.

I always Tex-skin-it-on-top, making it weedless/woodless, and allowing for a 'soft' hookset.

Dan

For me its all in how you want the senko to fall. the hooks I use 99% of the time would be a 3/0 wide gap Gammy or BPS. If I want the bait to fall faster I'll go up to a 4/0 or 5/0 , but never smaller than a 3/0. the bait falls different depending on what size hook you use. The fish will tell you what they like. so I would keep all the size you mention handy and when you find fish try a differnet size and see if the fish want a faster fall or slower

I mostly use the 3/0 Daiichi FatGap and Offset Wide Gap hooks.

I used to use 4/0 hooks most of the time, but I feel like I have a

better hooking ratio with the smaller hooks.

JT Bagwell

I'm no expert, but just to add another opinion, 99% of the time I use a 4/0 EWG Gamakatsu.  I've caught fish as small as 6" on this rig, so I don't think the hook can be too big.  I rig it texposed.

3/0 or 4/0 EWG, the size is just a preference but I use the 4/0 most of the time cause I usually switch from senkos to a fat ika type thing and a 4/0 is necessary for a fat ika.

I'm curious, when using Gammy EWG hooks with 5" senkos do you texas rig or texpose?

I never use the texpose style, but like both the 'texskin' and traditional 't-rig' (buried hook).

The 2/0 is easier to set home beyond the barb, but tends to bunch up with plastic.

The 4/0 is a cinch to sock home with braid, but the extra weight increases the fall rate.

In the real world, it's hard to fish any stick worm wrong (senko, tiki stick, dinger, you name it)

Roger

Guest avid

I use an owner 4/0 wide gap.  I like to poke the point through the far end of the worm and let it sink back into the worm.  This creates a tunnel for the hook to follow easing the pressure needed by a smidge but still keeping the worm fully weedless