Sign in to follow this  
AHBasser

Secondary Points??

I have heard of people catching good fish on these points.  Can you define for me what they are and how to locate them.  I am just getting started and trying to learn as much as possible.

Great question, AHB, I've often wondered that myself.  I've got one of those foldout Hotspots maps of a lake I'll be fishing in a couple months and would also like to know how to spot a secondary point.

Secondary points are most commonly found on creek channels that feed into the main channel.There are main lake points which I refer to as points that are formed on the main lake channel,which usually is the deeper channel running along the lake.These points will drop of into the deep water of the main channel.Secondary points are points that will form on the smaller channels that aren't as deep,these channels usually feed into the main channel at some point.Secondary points are commonly found 1/4 to 1/2 the way back of a larger bays.They may also be found close to the main lake but won't drop off into the main channel.Hope this helps.  CJ

Originally, primary and secondary points were terms used for impoundments (manmade lakes).

In the beginning, a "primary" point was a shoreline protuberance in the river channel,

and a "secondary" point was a shoreline protuberance in the creek channel. Occasionally

they were totally submerged and not visible in the outline of the lake. Because the river channel

is involved, points formed by the merger of a creek and river channel were deemed primary points.

Over the years however, those terms have become convoluted. Today, you'll read articles

that refer to large prominent points as primary, and smaller, less prominent points as secondary,

wherever they may occur. You might say that primary and secondary have now become judgment calls,

yet another victim of semantics.

Think in terms of a tree.  The trunk would be the main point, and the branches coming off the trunk would be the secondary points.  If you look at a lake map, the main point sticks out into the lake and the secondary points branch off of it.

Reb, this is the easiest to understand.  Like I said I am just getting started, and it easy to get  confused with all the talk.   This is the start of my second year bass fishing.  It is very addicting ;D I am fishing an impoundment lake.  Thanks for the quick reply.  If anyone else has anyting else to offer please do.

While we're on the subject of points, about how long do you folks stay on a single point before moving on to the next. That is, thinking of your own fishing style, how long constitutes "fishing a point throughly," if there are no bites? I tend to become impatient with points, moving on fairly quickly. Maybe that's why I don't have much luck with them. Cheers,.

Depends on the point.

Some points have one known holding site, some may have a dozen.

(Long Point, Lake Erie probably has fifty)

the definition I've always heard is just what Reb said.  A primary point is the larger point, the secondaries being the ones that are coming off of it.  

While we're on the subject of points, about how long do you folks stay on a single point before moving on to the next. That is, thinking of your own fishing style, how long constitutes "fishing a point throughly," if there are no bites? I tend to become impatient with points, moving on fairly quickly. Maybe that's why I don't have much luck with them. Cheers,.

I use to do the same thing.Points do have there sweet spots.One thing to take into consideration is the fish's position on the point.The positioning of the fish may determine their mood(positive,negative,or neutral)Some fish may be suspended out over the deep water next to a point,they would be neg.-neutral.If the fish are located on structure,there is a good chance they are in a positive feeding mood.There are other ways a fish could be positioned on a point when you throw weather,current,and ect. into play.But,with that said,fish may change their position in an instance.I fish points,humps,and ledges alot and what I have learned is that the fish will move up on the hump to feed.If I fish out a point for 10-20 mins.and don't get a bite I may go on to another spot,but its a good idea to go back and check it later.

And as has been intimated not all points are created equal. Often once you have been doing this for awhile you will find secondary points that are consistantly more productive or that produce better fish than some primary points. Watch where you catch fish on points is it an inside or outside bend that is formed? Is there more than one prominent drop associated with the point. Often fishermen will get fixated with the first prominent drop on a point and might not find fish and then forget to go out a little more to see how the point goes out and down to what might be considered the main lake floor at that point. One of the reasons I still run a 3-D Hummingbird is so that I can in prefishing slowly motor back and forth and in and out over a point and see just how a point lays out. Break lines on points, inside, outside bends, points on a point, cover on a point, you will learn not all points are created equal but all points hold the promise of good fish.