Sign in to follow this  
Btech

EWG G-Lock What????

Ok this might be a newby question but i havnt found an answer in my research.

I buy Gamakatzu hooks and noticed i have 2 differant ones

Glock and EWG...

Im wondering what is the differance between the two what do they stand for and why is a 4/0 Glock smaller than a EWG? (May have this backwards) i mostly use them on my senko's but thats about all i have to right with them .....

Any advice would be much appriciated.

Not sure about the GLOCK hooks.  But the EWG is 'Extra Wide Gap' and, as the name implies, are usually larger than your typical hook of the same size.

EWG = Extra Wide Gap - used for rigging thicker worms, tubes,  creature type plastics etc. Leaves room for the bait to move when the fish bites down on it so more hook is exposed.

How can you tell what hook you have if they are all mixed?

Rather than lay them out 1/0 , 2/0 etc is there any way to tell (other than the naked eye) ?

You can look at Gammy's website and see the difference: http://www.gamakatsu.com/catalog/worm.htm

The G-Lock hooks have a more aggressive z-bend and not quite as wide a gap.  The G-Locks also have the hook eye in perfect alignment with the hook point.  Makes a difference when rigging up different plastics.

Ok thanks for the information that helps - Now i have made a hook box with EWG and Glock 1-5/0 each are there any other hooks i would need for my soft plastics? These seem to work the best for me but wouldnt mind expiramenting with other ones if yall have any sugestions.

There is probably about $500 worth of hooks in my hook box.  I use them all.  What soft plastics?

I use G-Lock hooks exclusivley.  I do this because I rig all my soft plastics texposed and for me the hook point is perfectly parellel to the bait when I do it.  Just my preference from confidence

8-)

the g-lock doesn't bend on a hookset its shorter and thicker I think.

I have had a lot of problems with the EWG last year.  I have been using them for 4 years without a problem until last year.  They may be using a cheaper metal.

Anyone else notice this?

The main difference in use is the G-Lock is shorter in length as compared to the EWG and fits short baits better. A good tube hook.

Yep.  The G-Lock has even a wider gap than the standard Gammy EWG, while being shorter overall.  The hook point is also slightly curved up, which I feel equates to a higher hookup percentage.  The G-lock is the ultimate tube hook, and reminds me of the original EWG hook; the Eagle Claw 'High Performance' hook.  

I have had a lot of problems with the EWG last year.
Use an Owner Wide Gap Plus.

The main difference in use is the G-Lock is shorter in length as compared to the EWG and fits short baits better. A good tube hook.

Yep. The G-Lock has even a wider gap than the standard Gammy EWG, while being shorter overall. The hook point is also slightly curved up, which I feel equates to a higher hookup percentage. The G-lock is the ultimate tube hook, and reminds me of the original EWG hook; the Eagle Claw 'High Performance' hook.

Hmmm, I'd have thought that a hook with the point offset from eye would work better with a bait as wide as a tube. Shows what I know...tubes are generally an open water tool for me. I generally stick a Bite Me Big dude up the tube's butt. :o

I'll have to try flipping a tube this year. Its been on my lst, but there are so many other things that work as well. Thanks ;)

When I'm working soft plastics fast like a soft jerkbait or a floating worm I have found that I get more hookups when using a regular offset worm hook instead of a EWG or G-Lock.

A little off tiopic, but...

Gene, have you tried nose hooking your flukes with a 1/0 DS style hook?  Not the best in weeds, but when you can get away with it, its a different action and easy hookups.

I have switched to the Gamy SkipGap hook, I have great hookup ratios and the plastic doesn't slide up the hook and lend to a fish comning unhooked.

As far as flukes I am considering trying what a guy in our club does with his.  He rigs them with a 5/0 yes I said 5/0 treble.  It isn't at all weedless but I fish a fluke above submerged weeds and in open water anyway.

I tried G-Locks a couple years back and my hook up rate did go up using them! The only problem I had with them (was using 4/0's) was I had a hard time removing the hook from the bass, especially larger bass. I found myself having to cut the hook in order to save the fish. I'm not talking deep hooked bass either, I'm talking about largemouths hooked in the side or the roof of the mouth (maybe as deep as 1/2 to 3/4's the length of the hook deep). Has anyone else had this issue? Just curious.

I have switched to the Gamy SkipGap hook, I have great hookup ratios and the plastic doesn't slide up the hook and lend to a fish comning unhooked.

As far as flukes I am considering trying what a guy in our club does with his.  He rigs them with a 5/0 yes I said 5/0 treble.  It isn't at all weedless but I fish a fluke above submerged weeds and in open water anyway.

Why not just try a stinger hook (scroll down a bit).  5/0 treble seems like it would take away from the action?

Im assuming Hook up Rate means your catching more not getting snaged more right?

Yes Btech, catching more bass not more snags!  ;)