Sign in to follow this  
MadGator

Anyone Else Fish at Lunch?

So I'm just curious if I'm the only crazy that fishes during my lunch hour at work.  Now I work for a University so my lunch hours tend to be a little flexible.  I also happen to work in the middle of two lakes, so I only have to drive about 2 minutes for a good fishing spot.  I've caught several fish on my lunch hour ranging from 1-3#'s, I've also had many lunch hour skunkings.  I pretty much go every work day, after I actually eat my lunch it usually leaves me with about 30-40 minutes of fishing time.  I generally throw a buzz frog, our lakes are very weedy and the buzz frogs seem to work very well.  I've also thrown various other hollow body frogs, worms, spinnerbaits, and buzz baits.  I usually keep two or three rods in my car, I have a little hatch that opens so they fit through the back seat.  I fish probably the same 4 or 5 spots, I tend to rotate as weeds change, they have weed cutters on the lake running most of the time, when the cutters come through it really kills the fishing.  I also carry a fly rod with me and will occasionally target panfish with little poppers.  I do have a boat, but am usually only able to use it 3-4 times per month because of "life" I guess. So is anyone else this crazy or is it just me?

I'm a lunch "hour" fisherman, too.  I leave my desk, stop by the local convenience store, pick up a Dr. Pepper and some peanutbutter crackers and can be on either of three lakes by 12:15 -- if the fish are biting I might stretch it out and get back by 1:30, if not I'm back at it by 1:00.  Of course this depends on the weather and how busy I am at the time, but without this fix I am usually not at the top of my game in the afternoon.

I do in the spring and fall, but standing in bright sunshine in 100 degree weather with 110 heat index, is not something I want to do and then have to go back to work.  My coworkers would rather me not fish in this heat and come back smelling like I just ran a marathon. :o :o

As I just got back from fishing the answer is me too! I usually fish almost every day at work now I have a nice river and a few ponds very close by my office and can usually get in my fix. But since the heat has been so bad 98F today and weather.com says it feels like 108 with all the humidity  :-/ I find the fish like to go deep which is had to hit from shore.  So I've been mostly practicing my presentation technique more than practicing my hookset.  >:( But as Shad said I find that it really helps to get that daily fix especially when It's hard to go fishing on the weekends and evenings with very little kids.

PS. hukerthko I bought some Champion wicking tshirts that had me comming back in to the office after the weather today looking and smelling great.

Got a 2 pounder on a buzz frog today! ;D  Oh yeah, I keep a t-shirt in the car so I can change out of my work shirt.  This has been helping with the smell....  ;)

huskertko, I remember reading a quote from the guy that started the aerobics craze back in the 80's -- he advocated that people who couldn't find any other time to run to go out on their lunch break -- he said, "honest sweat doesn't stink".

I've been thinking about starting to fish on my lunch hour.  I'm about five, maybe 10 minutes tops from a pretty good fishing spot.  No bass but I've caught a ton of panfish there in the past so, I'm thinking about heading over there a few days a week.  Give me a chance to try out the ultra-light Quantum spinning reel that I bought a few weeks ago.

huskertko, I remember reading a quote from the guy that started the aerobics craze back in the 80's -- he advocated that people who couldn't find any other time to run to go out on their lunch break -- he said, "honest sweat doesn't stink".

Maybe the sweat itself doesn't stink, but when you add a couple of Budweisers from the night before, it can get a pretty recognizable "scent" to it by the end of the day. ;D :-[

I did it for 2 years @ my last job  every lunchtime

and also a lot of times I would go into work at 4 or 5 am and fish until 7:48 am :)

I had 4 lakes to fish  at my last job and it was great

;D  Fish at lunch, yeah, sure!  There's no way I'd even tempt myself with only a 30 minute lunch break.  

I have a lake that's 10 minutes from work and a boss that doesn't mind if I'm a little late getting back (if the bass are biting!). A week or two back, I landed a 4 pounder at lunch! Nothing clears the mind for the second half of the day like a bass or two at lunch!!!!!   ;D

I have a lake 10mins from work and I've only got a 1/2 hr lunch. Mainly do it in the early spring just to get my fix during those very short early spring warm spells. I don't catch much then but just to breathe fresh air again is enough after a long winter!

I carry one rig with a Rooster Tail rigged for action in my car and as I drive around Virginia on business I look for ponds.

If I see a promising pond I will consider knocking on the home's door and asking for permission to fish their pond.  I usually will have a pie or some Hubbs peanuts with me to offer as a peace offering.

I keep a small tackle box with some extra lures; a pliers; a sissors; and my fishing license.

I also have been known to park the car and fish some ponds alongside the road.

I use the Rooster Tails as they produce bites from bass and bream.  Small white jigs on a 1/64 or 1/8 jighead is also a good lure to have available.  No line twist with the jigs.