Sign in to follow this  
Hooked On Bass Fishing

Tryin to catch the big ones

Anyone have any suggestions on catching bigger fish??? I have been using a senko and catchin 3 small fish every time i go. I have caught as small as a pound and as big as 2.5. Im lookin for a 3-5. Im prety sure there are some big fish in this lake. I have seen HUGE blowups. I wanna know if anyone has ne ideas for the big ones

Big bait = Big fish

Try fishing some of the larger senko's or maybe try some 7-11" worms.  Zoom Ol Monster and Mag II worms have worked for me of late.

Zebco hit the nail on the head with the larger worms idea. Bigger baits do generally catch bigger fish in MOST situations. Just be prepared for the possibility of a skunkin' when you are specifically targeting larger fish as smaller fish will probably be intimidated by a larger bait. Your main focus should be FINDING THE FISH. That is half the battle right there. As soon as you find a larger fishes haunt all, then you just gotta get it to bite...which isn't always an easy task in and of itself. Good luck.

Get off the bank, fish deeper, fish slower, fish structure instead of cover.

This is the very best time of year for soft plastics. My #1 suggested bait would be Micro Munch El Gordo or Mizmo 5 1/2" tube, T-rigged, weedless, 1/8 oz bullet or barrel weight, with a bead and unpegged. You pick the color, but I like dark. Cast it out and let it sit on the bottom for a minute, move it slowly with a 6-12" horizontal sweep then let it sit for thirty seconds or so before moving it again. Repeat until you feel you are "out of the zone".

If the water is <12' deep, you might also try a 6" Senko and Fat Ika, weightless.

Whatever your using first of all make it a slow retrieve because the bigboys are slow. They like injured prey because they don't have to work as much. If your fishing shallow then throw a frog out there and pull it once then let it sit for a while, if your fishing deep then I'd try a big worm with a slow retrieve.

I'd go with one of those great big senkos on a carolina rig if the fish are holding deep.  If they are blowing up, try using a stick minnow (like a floating rapala.)  Try deadsticking it in the center of the swirls.  If that doesn't work, I'd try a Rebel baby bass Pop-R (med sized) or a baby bass excalibur spit'n image.  

If all else fails, do like Roadwarrior said and go deeper with ikas and senkos.