Sign in to follow this  
mase088

Fishing Bridge Pilings

I did a search and nothing came up so, what are some of your favorite baits for fishing bridge pilings, specifically in about 20 ft of water.

I'm fishing on West Point Saturday and last time I fished it that's about all I did and was not as successful as I had hoped.

Thanks in advance!

I've done well with 1/8 - 1/4 oz ballhead jigs with a shad or grub body on them. I actually aim for the piling and hit it, letting it drop into the water. I don't know if the bass picks up on the sound of the jig hitting the piling or what, but it works. Wouldn't suggest this with $$$ baits :D, but you won't hurt a jighead or a worm doing it.

I like a wacky rigged senko or a jigging spoon if I can pinpoint the depth they are holding. A crankbait can be effective on pilings also but you need to be keyed in on their depth. The senko covers all depths.  

I haven't fish a bridge in a very long time but when I was younger I used to use a single blade willow or colorado 1/2 oz spinnerbait.Cast past and around the pillings and bump into them then let it helicopter down.

Whatever lure you use it is usually important to identify which side of the pillings the fish are holding on. Work it from many different angles.If there is strong sun or current from one direction that can make it easier.

Mase

Bassin Fanantic and the other guys have it totally correct.  Do what they say.  Especially about using that Senko, rigged wacky.

Or, rig your Senko Texas style but put the hook in the middle of the Senko so it will fall backwards when you move it.

I have more success fishing the bank where the bridge meets the shoreline than the pilings, unless it is a small bridge in somewhat shallow water.

Look for brush, trees, grass, etc. along the shoreline by the bridge.

You will need patience, too.  Not like Nickie Satan at Alabama and the Bama fans who want a national championship, like LSU has two, RIGHT NOW.

So be patient, hit the pilings, let bait flutter down, throw a Senko, fish all water depths, hit the bank and you may catch something.

Good luck and have fun.  :D

Is this for a river or lake?  I assume lake with no current otherwise a senko would be downstream too fast.

Also how do you pick which pilings will be more productive?

I love fishing bridge pilings for smallmouth.  I normally fish them with a tube or a strait tail worm on a jighead.    

Look for rocks right around the pilings and those ones are the best.

Good luck

I have always had luck with a DD22. But you might want to go with a crank bait that goes about 15-20ft. Try to hit the pilings and see if you cant get a bite! Good luck!

Is this for a river or lake? I assume lake with no current otherwise a senko would be downstream too fast.

Also how do you pick which pilings will be more productive?

Its a lake.

Thanks for all of yalls tips. I'll definitely try the wacky rigged senko if my boater gives me the time.