Sign in to follow this  
kb.1

how long to fish one pond?

hi guys, since i just joined this group i have enjoyed the many repsonses  helping me out, thanks.  

question:  i have really gotten this fishing bug this summer and thanks to my neighboor who may be on this board, well he taught me some tackle tips and since i have been loving at as i catch decent size LM on this [particlaur pond in OP, NY.  i have used 2 legged crawlers that hit em well, then learned about  gary yamamota ! well i have really had a good time wiht his 5' senko brown wiht orange tip and a 4/0 hook.  the last 3 weeks i get there oh 4 times a week.   its a small pond but i keep getting results.  so now will i eventually overkill this spot?

thanks, kb

Welcome aboard!

If you are taking bass out of a small pond, you can clean it out in short order.

I don't know what "small" means to you, but I fish a number of ponds from about 5 to 17 acres. I consistantly catch big bass on these ponds and if anything, the fishing has gotten better over the years.

I would think that it would be caused by a lot of fishing pressure by other fishermen other than your self.

I fish a local pond and I am usually the only person fishing it on a regular basis so there is very little pressure.

You can usually tell if jerks are fishing it if there is a lot of trash left behind at certain places where you can fish the bank.  If you do not see other fishermen or trash then it is a good bet you are the only one fishing the pond so there is very little pressure.

Have fun.

I have a small 3/4 acre pond right out my back door and fish it every day.  For the last 2 weeks the bite has been really slow, but up until then (just before the water started getting hot) the fishing was outstanding.  I only catch and release, and the only other person fishing the pond does the same.  He seems to think we've overfished the pond, but I think the slow-down is more of a weather issue.  I've checked my log from last year, and the same basic thing happened last year.  If this pattern holds true, I'll be catching fish like crazy in about 2 more weeks (maybe less if the water keeps cooling off like it has been).  Keep you all posted...

i think about this a lot and posted the same question recently.  im still not comporatable with what the correct answer is though.  i do know that when i first started fishing the pond two months ago it was incredible fishing.  since then it has slowed down a lot.  i think it has more to do with the weather but i really dont know.  i do think that they have started to get wise to the techniques i was using and that switching up helps a lot.  please keep us updated on what you decide or how the fishing changes as you get towards the fall.  i still am not sure if i need to lay off this pond a little more or not.

matt

I regularly fish a 30- or 40-acre pond (I'm terrible at judging acreage) that receives very little fishing pressure, and although it's bigger than the one you're describing, I have some outings when I catch one fish and others when I'm catching a dozen, including some four pounders. I think it's tough to isolate the cause of a sudden decline. Overfishing is likely to be a more gradual thing, noticeable over a few years or more. I don't know how many bass are in this pond, but it's a lot more than I've been catching.

The bigger nuisance is that there's noplace to hide my car when I'm fishing there. I notice while driving by lately that a few other people have been in there . . .  :'(

yeah i hate it when people see me fishing in my ponds.  if someone sees me walking with my rods i always try to tell them that i was at the river or anywhere but on the golf course.  i try to only go before the golf course opens and after all the golfers are gone (also they like that and i dont want to lose permission).  sometimes some straglers are still there and its never a good feeling.  last time i was there someone walked up to me and was liek "i never thought of that i bet these ponds are great".  i felt a little sick and said "uh not really,  i mean they are close and its a place to bring my son, i dont think they were ever stocked properly" . as im saying this im getting a hit and trying to ignore it but eventually its too obvious.  despite my efforts i caught the fish which i really hated but thankfully it was a very small one.  a few unethical anglers can completely ruin some of these small ponds in only a few outings and having ponds that are a five minute wald from my house is precious to me.  i can very much understand wanting to hide your car.

matt

thanks guys, i have really enjoyed this board the last week since i joined.  now i cant tell how many acres somehting is, so i will say its narrow- you can cast across pond, at both ends it opens so it looks like a dog bone.  maybe its 100-150 yards long.  but there are 5 lb'ers in there says my neioghboor the real fishing guy ( me, i am just a newbie right now)  in fact i was embarrased if he ever sees my lures stuck in the think lilly pads due to poor casting.  but i havent lost one in a couple of weeks.  so i am gettign better.  also i learned that you dont knock the tall cat-tails down to have s pot to stand.  the DEC was there when my neighboor was fishing and said soemthing to him, in whihc he relayed it to me, and i felt bad.   was ther eon mon, and will hit it ealry sat.   then school starts for this PE teacher and with coachiong a HS sport my fall is shot.  thanks, again ,kb

Sounds like that's a REALLY small pond.  I think you may make the bass shy of certain lures and you'll probably do better to change up techniques every so often.  But I don't think you can do any damage to the fish population in there...as long as you're practicing C&R.  If anyone is keeping them, it wouldn't take long to clean out a small pond, at least to the extent that they hurt the spawning population badly.  I've heard of several small ponds in my area that were raided by people looking for a few dinners that never recovered.  

I'm reasonably new to the board too!  I was recently visitiing my brother-in-law in central PA.  I've been fishing for bass with my fly rod as of late (more to follow).  Anyway, the fly shops in that area are strictly trout-oriented and while we were looking the places over, I definitely detected some "attitude" towards bass fishing.  So, while killing time I picked up a fly-fishing newspaper and was really enjoying some articles on smallmouth fishing.  Lo and behold, there was a blurb called "Fish Facts."  The month's spotlight was the Largemouth Bass.  Unfortunetely, I can't remember the name of the publication, but I made pdfs of the articles I wanted to keep.  I could send the pdf via email (I guess), but don't see how to post here.  Anyway, I'd probably get busted for copyright infringement!  Without plagarizing, the gyst of the writeup said that research has shown LMB to be the most intelligent of freshwater fish.  Some lakes thought to be fished out in fact may contain plenty of LMB.  They have learned to recognize almost all the lures commonly in use and after one "bad" association, will not strike again.  The blurb continues that brook trout will strike 3-4 times while sunfish and crappies will take the same lure over and over (no suprise there!).  

This makes perfect sense to me as I've noticed how hard it is to catch bass in many public lakes...  My breakthrough came after pulling out my fly rod that I use on the river for smallmouth and proceeding to catch about 5 LMB in a matter of 30 minutes - I'd been skunked in two previous outings and 2 hours during the present trip using plastics!  Not many people fish fly rod on public lakes, so I'd try tossing a nice popping bug or even a frog fly and see if your luck doesn't change.  May even give the bass in your pond a chance to forget the other stuff you've been tossing!

Do not think a pond is too small to hold big bass.  One of the dozens of farm ponds I fish is maybe 1/4 acre, and Id guess 12 feet deep (Hawghunter can attest to it).  2 of my bigger bass this year, right around 5 lbs, have come out of there.  Granted there are limited numbers in this pond but I pull a couple fish out a year, and I know they spawn because Ive witnessed it.  This is in Iowa too so you may be in a better growing area for bass.  Just switch up your techniques and you should be able to catch fish.  

Corey