Sign in to follow this  
BassKing813

Shiner Fishing Help

I'm new to shiner fishing (only used em once) and I have a few questions about it.

1. What size float should I use?

2. When fishing them under a float, how should I hook them?

3. When trolling, how should I hook them?

4. Is a flippin stick with 50lb test braid too heavy to use?

5. If I'm fishing clear water, what pound test would you recommend?

This is the setup I will use: Daiwa Procyon heavy action flippin' stick, Ambassadeur 5500 reel, 50lb test braided Spiderwire.

Also, should I have my drag set kind of loose?

If the knowledgeable fishermen of this site could answer these questions and provide me with any other tips for shiner fishing, it would be a big help. Thanks.

I use 12lb line, on a 7ft mediem rod. I put a bobber about 4' up the line, then a small splitshot about 2ft under that. I tend to use a smaller hook, so it doesnt weight the shiner down.

I catch alot of nice crappies and pickerel this way. It is fun to do while you are bass fishing.

I depends a lot on whether you are fishing for BIG fish or little fish. If you fish shiners for MONSTER smallmouth, this is the answer:

Spinning tackle, MF

Yo-Zuri Hybrid Ultra Soft #6

Gamakatsu Octopus Circle Hooks #6

I fish them on a split shot rig. Hook the minnow through the bottom lip and through the top to keep them alive. Cast softly and let the minnow do the work, do NOT play the bait.

No float, no trolling and lose the braid.

Flipping? Not.

I probably should have specified what type of bass I am fishing for and where. I'm going for monster largemouth here in Florida. A lot of vegetation and wood cover is present, and the lakes are generally the same depth everywhere.

Oops!

Can't help, but I suspect George Welcome can. If he doesn't respond here, send him a PM. George is one of the top guides in the country (especially for Florida) and a great guy to boot. I know he will have the answer for you.

I fish a shiner a few different ways.

If larger and very active, I like to hook it just behind the dorsal fin. This allows the fish to skitter on top. The "DeathDance".  Funnest way to fish them, topwater hit.

Secondly. Hook in one nostril and out the other. Cast softly and freeline it.

Also a great way to pick up extra fish is to rig dead shiners through bottom lip and then top lip and let out waaaay behind boat and let it drag as you drift and cast another rod.

For both I use a gammy 1/0 Octopus hook. 1/0 Octopus circle's work well too but circle hook techniques need apply.

No split shot in my rigs, just a hook and bait.

Float size: as small as you can get away with. We use balloons so that we can control the size.

Hook location depends on what you want the shiner to do - dance on the surface: hooked in front of the dorsal fin. Towed or swim down: hooked through the lower lip and out a nostril. Swim down and forward: hooked just in front of the anal gland.

The decision to free-line is determined by the cover you are fishing next to. Little cover you can free-line. Lots of cover you need a float to keep the shiner out of the cover. However if the cover is floating having the shine swim down and under the cover will get you big fish.

We also C-rig the shiner and split shot the shiner. Experiment!

Dance on the surface: hooked in front of the dorsal fin.

George, do you insert the hook "ahead" or "behind" the dorsal fin?

In front of the dorsal fin would put the hook about midway in the length of a golden shiner.

Roger

Guest avid

i shiner fish once or twice a year.

ihave only one technique that iuse because it is alot of fon

i use braid but i tie about 4' of 15-20 lb mono or fluoro leader

i use an owner octopuss hook size 1 or 1/0 hooked thru the nose

i put a popping cork where the braid meets the leader

i gently cast a few feet and pay out line as the shiner seeks cover.

i don't let him get too deep into the grass before i pop the cork a few times.

all the while i,m manipulating the bait to get it further from the boat.

if he gets to comfy i pop the cork a couple of times

this usually does not take very long befoe you see the cork starting to move erratically building to a franctic panic driven yet ultimately futile attempt to escape the predator that is moving in for the kill.

let the bass take the shiner.  the cork usually goes under but always the bass will swim off  with it.  when the cork stops it means the bass is eating the shiner.

by now your nerves are strung tighter than ted nugents bow, but give it another few seconds and set the hook.

for c&r shiner fishing a 1/0 owner circle hook works great

WHEN I'M SHINER FISHING USE 10# TRILENE XL. I USE AS LITTLE WEIGHT AS POSSIBLE, HOOK THE SHINER THROUGH THE BOTTOM LIP AND OUT THE NOSTRIL, AND LET IT SWIM.

MOST OF MY MONSTER SMALLMOUTH WERE CAUGHT USING THIS METHOD.

Line: 50# braid will work just fine.

Hook the shiner in front of the dorsal fin and be careful you do not go to deep. Hooked behind the dorsal fin puts the hook too far back and will account for more misses.

The hook, which is designed for shiners is a Kahle - depending on shiner size a 4/0 or 5/0. In order to hook a bass the hook has to dislodge from the shiner, so your success will be greater with the Kahle hook then with a circle or octopus hook.

Where you place the hook depends on what you want to shiner to do. It is important, but not near as important as the timing needed to actually hook the fish. Key to hooking is having a direct and tight line to the bass, and this is a balancing act. Ideally the bass will grab the shiner and swim away from you tightening the line as it goes. When you have a tight line, cross the bass's eyes.

There's a bunch more to this, but that should get you started. For someone just beginning with shiners a 50 to 65% hookup rate would be pretty good. It is not a laydown method of catching bass.

The hook, which is designed for shiners is a Kahle - depending on shiner size a 4/0 or 5/0. In order to hook a bass the hook has to dislodge from the shiner, so your success will be greater with the Kahle hook then with a circle or octopus hook.

Kahle is all I use for live bait, but unfortunately Eagle Claw is the only manufacturer that makes the hooks I like.

George, are you using Eagle Claws too?

Roger

I often wondered where, when and why a kahle hook would be used, I'll have to try them...  1/0, 2/0 ok for 4 inch shiners?

Well, in Florida it goes more like this:

4 to 6 Minnow:       3/0 Kahle

6 to 8 Minnow:      4/0 Kahle

8 to 10 Minnow:      5/0 Kahle

Because the shank of the Kahle hook is bent away from the business end

it doesn't interfere with swallowing and gets a deeper hook-set in the mouth.

Roger

by now your nerves are strung tighter than ted nugents bow, but give it another few seconds and set the hook.

I like you analogy avid!!  Yes, you are right, it would be that tight! :D