Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

Fish finder technology

I was out on the lake yesterday and got to talking to a guy in a Bass hunter boat. Said his LCR was showing suspended bass in about 15 feet of water. How can he be so sure those where Bass and not Trout or Bluegill?. I have seen some finders that can distinguish what kind of fish it is,how can a finder determine that?

How can he be so sure those where Bass and not Trout or Bluegill?.

In the real world, you can't.

Roger

The fsih finder does not discriminate between species, no fish finder will tell you if the fish you are looking at is a bass, they only tell you that under the cone there 's fish. Like Roger said, in the real world only your knowledge tells you that those fish you are looking at are bass.

Ya see there's a little chip inside your unit that shows those fish symbols and it's on a continuous loop. Every wonder why the screen moves even when your boat is still?

Guest the_muddy_man

Ill give you asure fire lowtech way of finding fishon a new lake. Look where I go then you go somewhere else b/c I hane no idea where they are either

Its possible for some of the $$$ units to use enough power to cut threw clutter (weeds density) to find objects suspended below but not I.D. fish. I hear from ole pro's with the flasher units of the 70's say that they can tell what type of fish it is!  W H A T ?  More like your catching a mess of bluegill or perch and your betting the next bite( #99) is that type of fish! Like you have a crystal ball or something.  Icon or NO Icon > its just a object on the bottom or suspended off the bottom. Now a underwater camera will show the type of fish but is it worth it at $300 +.   A fish finder is just a sales name for "DEPTHFINDER" and " COLOR models aren't going to deside what kind of fish it is either ( just a guess from the crystal ball) just for people who can't read black/white or just plain like the fancy new screen look . Just a opinion!