Sign in to follow this  
mroe

AZ Beginner - What to start with?

I live in Arizona, I mainly fish in Lake Pleasent and Bartlett. Water temps right now are around 66. I have a few crank baits along with some Rubber worms to make Carolina and Texas rigs, plus a couple of Buzz baits. I'm pretty confused at this point as to what to use when. People refer to everything from water temp, clearity, time of year, what lake, etc. Is it really all the complicated? I have 1 $250.00 gift card for my local Cabala's and what to buy what every works. Can someone reccomend some good things to buy? I have an Ambassador bait casting reel, an open face, and a closed face. Not even sure which one to use with all the oppinions out there. I'm using 10lb test. I sure could use some good common sence advise as where to start. [smiley=allears.gif

at the very top of this page, click on "Fishing Articles"...there you will find everything you want to know from beginners to advanced angling.

Good Luck

Jason

I agree with what NEbassMan has said.  The articles on the site are full of priceless info.

And...Welcome to the forum!  

Do you fish from a boat?? I would start with some Sinko's. Ask the guy at cabelas for what colors and size. I started out with a chrome rattle trap and a spinning outfit moved up to soft placics and a bait caster. Look around on this sight lots of info here. Just don't get overwelmed by all of it..

good luc k      

I agree, check into Senkos, you might find them alttle pricey but be gentle rigging em up and there well worth it. Kinami baits make the exact same thing as the Senko but call it a different name. There alittle cheaper. Search the word Senko in here and youll get all you need for this versatile bait.

Yes I do have a boat. Sold my older one about a month ago, and just picked up my brand new 17.5 Lowe Fishing Machine from Cabala's I love it. I could just live on the water. Just wish I could catch some Bass. I'm reading as much as I can from this site so It really helps. My wife loves to fish almost more than me. We were out on Pleaseat two weeks in a row trying to catch Stripers. They were supposedly really running. They were using Frozen Anchovies and were just killing them. My wife caught one, and that's all we did all day. The next week out couldn't even get a Blue Gill to bite. It was a pretty dispointing day. I thought maybe teh water temp might have something to do with it Just not sure at this point. Still learning. Thanks eveyone for all the advise.

I used to live in Arizona. Never fished Bartlett or Pleasant, but did fish Roosevelt occasionally. My recommendation is to talk with people, or read articles regarding those waters and see what others have been using. Settle on 1 or 2 techniques, and learn them. If I was fishing in central Arizona those two techniques would be Carolina rigged plastics and crankbaits. Buy the best equipment you can afford. For instance, if you decide to fish crankbaits, buy a rod and reel designed for that kind of fishing, and a good selection of crankbaits (10-20) covering a variety of depths and actions. Most of them should match the prevailing forage, but get 1 or 2 that have bright colors for dingy water conditions. That's it, don't buy anything else until you start catching fish on crankbaits. Even if you don't catch anything at first don't give up with the technique, eventually you will start catching fish. There isn't any substitute for spending time on the water, get out as often as you can.

If my memory serves correctly, the guys I knew who fished Pleasant generally used soft plastics, and fished deep. That was before Senko style baits, so maybe Senko's and their variants are a good option. Remember that Senko's fall around a foot every two - three seconds without adding a sinker of some kind, so if you're fishing in 20 feet of water you better be patient and be able to hold the boat still that long.

Welcome to the forum.  I don't fish Bartlett or Pleasant but have been spending a lot of time at Roosevelt the last year or so.  In general (very general) I've found plastics to be good in the spring when the water temps are lower and cranks/spinnerbaits in the high water temp times - summer and fall.  I've recently started dropshotting and found that to be pretty effective.  It's also a good way to relax a little after heaving cranks around all day.  Plenty of info on this technique is available elsewhere.  

There is a forum dedicated to fishing these waters:  azbasszone.com.  I think you'll get a lot of info specific to your waters on that website.  

Don't be discouraged when the action is slow, sometimes you can go out when all the conditions are perfect and come up with nada, other times they bite for no apparent reason.  The little darlings don't always act in accordance with our rules.  That's part of the fun and having fun is the reason we go out fishing.  Best of luck.

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  If there are any bait shops on or near these lakes , go and talk to them about whats going on with these lakes.

Welcome to the forum. Here is a link to a thread in the "Fishing Tackle" section. It will give you an idea of the most popular baits of many. You will see jigs, Senkos, Ikas, c-rigs, and several others that show up often. It's worth a look. Good luck and enjoy the process of finding what works best for you.

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1160715639/36#36

If you get a chance, look through some of the other older threads and you will get a lot info on favorite lures and techniques. Enjoy.

Welcome aboard!

mroe,

I live in Central Phoenix and I fished Pleasant last weekend.  PM me and I will give you some specifics on were the LMB are at and what they are biting on.  - Matt

Just got back from cabala's and stocked up the ole tackle box. So we'll see what happens' gonna try Pleasant again on Thursday. So.................. we'll see :-/