Sign in to follow this  
justfishin

Show respect to duck hunters, please.

Maybe this does not deserve a post but, I just feel the need to write this. I fish the Susquehanna in PA and the Upper Potomac in MD. This is the best time of year in my book and I take a lot of people out this time of year. It has been great so far. Anyway, to the point. I always like to give people the respect that I want in return but, the last few trips have annoyed the heck out of me. If anyone else fishes these waters this time of year, give the duck hunters some room. I do not duck hunt myself but, I have watched so many other guys run up and fish so close to the guys in their duck blinds and have witnessed a lot of words back and forth. I don't like it when they set their blinds up on some of my holes either but, it is their right. It is only a short while every year so show these guys some respect. I have on occasion ran up on a blind that I did not see and apologized to the hunters and they thanked me for my respect. I even get recognized by some of them now and they wave or ask how the fishing is. Just play nice fellows. A little respect goes a long way. Thanks.

Jim Blair

Hum let's examine

Angler: Rod & Reel

Hunter: Loaded Shotgun

Observation: Angler should not frustrate the hunter

The outdoors belongs to everyone so why not share?

Excellent thread Jim Blair.

I think we should all remember that public waters are for multi-purpose use, no one "owns" the water or any particular spot on the lake or river. I wish everyone was as courteous as you are to duck hunters or anyone else. I would like to think that most of our BassResource.com members share this philosophy and impliment it whenever they are out. There's room for everyone if we all learn to make a few compromises and remain civil.

To take the courtesy to another level, if you're nice to these guys, they may let you know when they'll be there, and when they won't, hence allowing you to fish under and around their blinds. If they're floating blinds, there's a pretty good chance there's some bass holding under it and I always find its better to ask and get permission than to just fish there and tick people off. Just a thought...

Thanks for the reply Panamoka but, we are talking Jet Boats with portable blinds, and fast, low water. We come from all over to guide or fish the Susky so, getting to know them is usually not going to happen. The Susky is a lot of river, fast ,shallow ,rocky and mean. We use  fishing tactics that I am sure some of you do not see. Its a different ballgame on this river. This river is by no means what most people are used to. How about it Susky fisherman and guides?, six inches of gin clear water-90 horse Jet, stick steering and wide open. Thanks again and good luck fishing sir.

That was way too funny CATT. I never thought of it that way. Your formula sure is another way of looking at it. A rod and reel is no match for a 1100 Remington and a couple of pi**ed off duck hunters,lol. Thanks for the laugh.

Hum let[ch8217]s examine

Angler: Rod & Reel

Hunter: Loaded Shotgun

Observation: Angler should not frustrate the hunter

The outdoors belongs to everyone so why not share?

That sir is shear genious!

That sir is common since

What Jim is addressing is common courtesy

A sportsman should have an abundance of both

I agree wholeheartedly with Jim Blair.

Courtesy and respect go a long way in our outdoor sports. The nice thing is, I see more courtesy and respect between outdoorsmen, and outdoorswomen than I ever see in everyday life. I have encountered duck hunters when fishing and always give them a very wide berth. Just as I do with shore fishermen when I am in my boat and boat fishermen when I am shore fishing. The same goes for open water fishing, in my book. If someone has an area I consider it "theirs" until they leave. I appreciate the same courtesy.

Tom