Sign in to follow this  
FatBoy

fishing pressue

My question is about how much fishing does it take to "pressure" a pond?  Take for example a 4 acre farm pond.  Let's say there are only two guys that fish this pond.  Is it possible for these two guys by themselves to put "pressure" on that pond?  How many times a week would they have to fish the pond for it to be "pressured"?  

I suppose I should also define what I mean by "pressure".  I'm talking about making the bass lure shy or just less likely to hit a particular type of lure.  Or maybe driving them away from their favorite cover.  

Two guys would have to fish it every day all day. I fish a pond thats about 3 acers and it is fished relentlessly by many others and the bass still take my sinko and spinner baits...

8-)

I always wondered about pressure; how it's defined and where the dividing line is between pressured and not pressured. Never did get an answer and probably never will.

However, there is no doubt in my mind that just one fisherman can do serious damage to a four-acre or bigger pond, depending on the pond's characteristics. My "home" pond for about 10 years or so is 13-15 acres, no boats allowed. The fishing has gone from good to nearly non-existent, and I believe one of the main reasons is people keeping fish, even legally.

Looking at my records, I have caught 200+ keepers there. What do you think would have happened if I kept all of them? I have my opinion and I think just one angler could ruin the pond you asked about.

Marty--  You raised a good point.  In my original question I'm assuming that it's C&R only.  I have no doubt that two guys could do real damage to a pond that size in short order if they're keeping fish.

I have to believe that 2 guys who know what they're doing could put some serious pressure on a body of water that size. Just one skilled angler will be thoroughly working over all the choice spots with a variety of presentations. If everyone is practicing selective harvest or strictly catch and release, things should be fine. The bass just aren't likely to be as reckless.

Even if catch-and-release is practiced, there'll be a minor mortality rate, and if fish-handling is irresponsible

the mortality rate can be appreciable. Now then, if two knowledgeable anglers are "catching-and-keeping" the bass,

there's no doubt that they can promptly fish-down a small pond, I have learned this from personal experience.

Roger

Hey Roger, do you have a feel for what's a minor mortality rate and an appreciable rate?  Are we talking 1% and 10%?  Or is it more like 10% and 50%?  

Two ponds (1- 4 acres, 1- 12 acres), 2 people who know what they are doing. Fish 1-3 times a week= enough pressure to make the fishing go from great to fairly tough.

I won't fish the same pond more than once or twice a month if it is 5 acres or less.  I do this because I know there are a few people who fish these.  I think if you like to fish ponds, (and who doesn't), I'd get permission on a few and fish them on a rotating basis.  I fish the bigger lakes in my area and hit the ponds only now and then, though I only have permission to fish two ponds right now.  I'm looking for more.  

We have 9 ponds that we cycle through.  I don't really see any pressure issues.  Even on the one we have fished the hardest this year, we can still go catch fish, and good sized ones, every time we go.  We only fish catch and release and some selective harvest.  Your question about lure shyness, we usually catch fish on the same types of lures.  Each pond has its own lures that seem to work, but they don't change that much.