Sign in to follow this  
kms399

ok the fish have moved deep...now what.

I have been doing pretty good so far this summer I have been averaging at least 1 bass at 20" almost every time i go out which for minnesota is pretty good. The problem is lately all I have been catching are dinks which to me means they have moved deep, and I am not very good at fishing deep. I have been trying trigs- and jigs with a zoom chunk for a trailer will varied results. I just cannot get the hang of carolina rigs is there something else you suggest or should I force myself to stick with one thing untill i get it. I don't have alot of time to get out only on sundays for abuot 8 hours so I would like to catch as many fish as possible in that time.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Rattle'traps- and craink bait, I get fooled alot with craink baits. As I know your suppose to do very well with it but, I struggle with it. Have a hard time feeling with it.

Learn how to locate/read deep water structure and then attack it with T-rigs and Jigs  ;)

T-Rigs, heavy jigs and carolina rigs are your best bet unless they are in 20' or less of water then a crankbait will be another alternative. Finding the right structure is key and if that structure also has cover on it you should be on them. Use a high floating rubber for your Carolina rig and make sure it will float the size hook you are using. This is something a lot of people learning to use a C-Rig neglect. A heavy hook with a plastic that sinks will defeat the method all together. You'll just be dragging your plastic across the bottom. Good Luck  :)

Great advise so far. When bass go deep. I head for the deep end of long points and humps on the main lake and large creeks. My favorate cover is deep (green) grass. I idle around with my fishfinder on, a marker bouy in my hand and my GPS ready to mark. When I locate bass I fish them with a Drop Shot Rig, Jig and C-Rig with at least a 24inch leader.

T-rigs will definately work. I have been catching on dropoffs near shore mostly where there is shade and cover. If you have floating docks over deep water, try fishing there! Strange enough I've been catching quite a few on a LC Pointer, mostly smaller fish but at least you entertain yourself. Also try this bait:

Lucky Craft Flat CB D-20.

post-7272-130163007349_thumb.jpg

I avoided the C-rig for years ... then I went out with a teaching guide and learned more about it. It is now one of my favorite techniques and has improved my deep water catching.

Also try this bait:

Lucky Craft Flat CB D-20.

Yep, deep crankin' is my favorite way to catch 'em in the summer. Just find some main lake points and other structure if possible and bump a deep crank around on the bottom for a while, you'll get bit.

The carolina rig is another good option. I always use braid main line and a carbon leader, I make the longest cast possible and sweep the rod to the side, that way your weight stays on the bottom and kicks up a little mud trail. Bass are always curious to find out whats kickin' up that mud.

Guest the_muddy_man
Learn how to locate/read deep water structure and then attack it with T-rigs and Jigs ;)

THIS TECHNIQUE IS KNOWN AS HOW TO DRIVE MUDDY NUTS!!!!!

dont make depth your major concern.focus on what bass are relating too.if you have deep water then it also has structure,i.e. points, drops,humps,ledges,any type of break line,and /or also cover,rocks,wood,brushpiles,submerged grass.

i look for visible points and look for structure or cover off of that.

ive never fished in minn.but not all bass go deep.if deep water fishin aint your thing stay w/ what you know,shallow water cover,grass,wood,docks,etc.

if i was going to concentrate on deep water ,i would start w/ a dropshot.you can probe any depth and pinpoint where you want to fish easily and is a proven fish catchin technique.once i found fish i would fish w/ a bait that reaches that depth effectively.c-rig,jigs,cranks,will cover any depth and structure you find fish.

I have been doing pretty good so far this summer I have been averaging at least 1 bass at 20" almost every time i go out which for minnesota is pretty good. The problem is lately all I have been catching are dinks which to me means they have moved deep, and I am not very good at fishing deep. I have been trying trigs- and jigs with a zoom chunk for a trailer will varied results. I just cannot get the hang of carolina rigs is there something else you suggest or should I force myself to stick with one thing untill i get it. I don't have alot of time to get out only on sundays for abuot 8 hours so I would like to catch as many fish as possible in that time.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Wiggle rigged worm, fished deep, has been kicking some bass in the last couple of weeks.

If you could see a worm on that rig.

http://ezknot.com/8inchworm.THM

you would instantly know why it out does Texas, Carolina or drop shotting, they don't even come close to the catch rate (we tested head to head, in the same boat, at the same time, in front of the same fish, with the same lures).

Here is a little guy caught by Lee Smith from Ms, yesterday doing this, he caught 30 bass, and 6 over 5 lbs, using this rig, and technique

leesfish.jpg