Sign in to follow this  
nec237

fishing from land

i would use a lot of plastics. rig everything weedless due to the fact that if you get hung up youre not going to be able to get it back. i like shorter rods when fishing from the bank, makes casting easier for me. id also have some lighter spinner baits and maybe a spook or 2.

good luck!

I mainly fish from the bank and really enjoy myself. Use anything you would from a boat except diving crankbaits because of the hang-up factor. Also WELCOME to the forums!!!

As Ever,

skillet

Drop shot.  Heavy weight. Gets you plenty of distance on the cast if you need to reach some depth. I have had good results and plenty of input here from some of the fellows.  Hook set can be a problem with so much line out so cordinate the line weight with your rod and reel set up and when you feel the fish bite, drop the rod tip, reel in slack FAST and stick hard!

I also have been working on learning to use frog lures as the lake I fish has lots of pads around it.

Hey and Welcome to the Forum!

I do a lot of pond fishing. Sometimes I do good and other times I get skunked.

But it is fun, especially fishing different ponds and finding out which ones hold good fish and which ones are a waste of time.

First, consider throwing wacky rigged Senkos and finesse worms along with a jig and pig.

Then, try your luck with crankbaits, spinnerbaits and the Chatterbait.

After that, consider visiting the pond early in the AM or late in the evening and fish buzzbaits and topwaters.

Remember to walk about 50 feet away from the shoreline when you move around as the fish can "feel" your presence.

Look for submerged structure and also grass along the shoreline.  See where the dam or drain is located as that should be the deepest part of the pond.

I fished with another guy on this forum this past Monday and the ponds were very deep; something I had not prepared for.  He nailed about 15 bass and I caught two beauties; lost one and landed a big catfish.  He knew the ponds.  Next time I wll fish the ponds different.

So what does this story tell you?  To fish the ponds; learn them; and use the baits that are productive.

When I go to Maryland next week and fish a golf course pond, I will clobber them with finesse worms.  For some reason, they love the Mocossin Blue finesse worms.  They will also hit Senkos and crankbaits, but those wacky rigged finesse worms are the secret and they out perform all other baits 10 to 1.

And remember to scale down your bait sizes and weights.

Good luck.

I think this is part of knowing your particular body of water also. I only fish one pond where I have to downsize my lures, and it's less than 1/10 acre.

In all of my other local ponds/lakes the fish are big enough (or hungry enough) to tackle whatever you throw out there.

Heck... In a few of them I use live bluegill (5") for bait. Mostly for catfish, but I catch a LOT of bass on them.

Heck... In a few of them I use live bluegill (5") for bait. Mostly for catfish, but I catch a LOT of bass on them.

Taliesin. Would you please tell me how you hook your bluegills when you baitfish them. I have had trouble with them coming off hooks.

I disagree about not using diving cranks at ponds.  I use DTs and diving cranks at the ponds I fish, I just generally fish them more slowly than I normally would.  I will gauge the depth with a spinner bait or worm, and get a feel for the bottom before throwing a diver, but once I learn a pond (which only takes a short time depending on the size), I'll toss the deep divers. With a little luck and a lure retriever, you won't lose any baits.   The thing you have to get past is pulling crud off your lure after every other cast.

Taliesin. Would you please tell me how you hook your bluegills when you baitfish them. I have had trouble with them coming off hooks.

I hook my live bait a couple of different ways due to the problem of throwing them off:

Bluegill: Two different methods. If the bite is pretty fast, I'll hook them through the eyes. This does put the hook through the brain also, so they don't live long (10 minutes or so). While they are alive, they act VERY injured and attract fish quickly.

With a slower bite, I'll run the hook in the mouth and up through a nostril. They don't act as injured, but do survive longer (up to 3 hours)

Shad: Shad will live quite a while when hooked through the eyes. For these fish it doesn't put the hook through the brain. It does make them VERY active though. Shad don't live long after being stressed out, but they will still manage to kick around after an hour this way.

I know some people that hook them through both nostrils, but I haven't tried that yet.

With these hooking methods you need to be ready to set the hook quickly. Most fish swallow bait head-first (especially bass) and you don't want to gut-hook your fish (unless you are out fishing for food). I haven't used circle hooks much, but that's another solution for this. Just remember that with circle hooks you CAN'T set the hook. It's the main reason I have problems with them.

Welcome aboard!

Soft plastics, weightless & weedless.

I disagree about not using diving cranks at ponds.  I use DTs and diving cranks at the ponds I fish, I just generally fish them more slowly than I normally would.  I will gauge the depth with a spinner bait or worm, and get a feel for the bottom before throwing a diver, but once I learn a pond (which only takes a short time depending on the size), I'll toss the deep divers. With a little luck and a lure retriever, you won't lose any baits.   The thing you have to get past is pulling crud off your lure after every other cast.

A crank worked parallel to the bank and bouncing along the bottom can be deadly, especially on wind blown banks or rip-rap.