Sign in to follow this  
MissouriBassin

Need some opinions

I caught what was my new personal best a month ago, a 5lb 4oz fish. Ever since then, something has been bugging me. It just doesn't look like a 5lb fish to me. Then yesterday I caught what showed as a 6lb 2oz fish. I am feeling the same way about this fish. My scale is an Xtools scale and it shows accurate  when I weigh a 5lb and a 10lb weight from my weight set that I work out with but I still don't feel right. I didn't measure either fish (I know that would really help here) and am just looking for your educated opinion. Here are the fish in question.

5lbs 4oz?

bass2-1.jpg

6lbs 2oz?

Picture001Small.jpg

Unless you are 8' 4" and 425 lbs, your scale seems to be off. Neither fish looks to be over 4#.

I'm with fivebasslimit on this one,  I will guess three on the first and four on the second fish.  Good fish anyway.  Be proud!! ;)

I've never been a fan of the X-Tools stuff and Boga's are way too expensive for me. I weigh mine on a P&P fish level, two at a time......whichever is lighter gets thrown back.  ;)

Guest avid

I finally got the boga grip.  I'm real fussy about weight of anything over 4 lbs or so.

As far as the expense.  I paid double the cost of retail for my BG.  That's because I went through halfa a dozen lesser scales first.   If accurate weight matters to you then go straight to the boga.

However, that being said, I am a firm believer that so many factors go into how big a fish "LOOKS" in a photgraph that is impossible to make a 'good enough" guesstimate.

the fact that your scale accurately measured both a 5lb and a 10 lb weight is good news.

But you can't do it just once.  The key to a quality scale is consistent reliability.  I would weigh each item 10 or 12 times over the course of a week.  If they keep coming up with weights that differ by no more than ounce or two, then man you got a great scale.

don't give up on those pb's just yet.

ps then buy the boga grip LOL

I would say ya scale is a little off  ::)

the top photo I would call it at 3 lbs the second I would call it at 3 1/2 maybe 4

You might try checking the weights after your scale has been sitting in the boat in the sun all day.  Environmental conditions can have a huge effect on an electronic scale's performance.  That could be the reason for the discrepancy.

I am just going to tell you, nice fish. I would however go to the local butcher shop, and check my scales. They have to be recertified every so many days and are usually very accurate. See if your local butcher will let you weigh some items using his scale and your scale. You are not going to get a state of the art scale for 29.99 but, you can buy them that are close enough for pleasure fishing.

I'm with fivebasslimit on this one, I will guess three on the first and four on the second fish. Good fish anyway. Be proud!! ;)

I agree.

Guest Bountiful_Waters

I have had both the Boga and X-Tools scales. I never had a problem with the X-Tools. I actually use the X-Tools a little more.

Pictures can be decieving. My fish in my picture is almost 22 inches long.  It was right at four lbs but it came out of a swift river (7 mph current) so the fish longer not fat because they are constantly working with the current.  Oh well just a thought.  Nice fish though bet they were a lot of fun.

If I was just guessing from your pictures I would say your scale is off.  I can't imagine that either of those fish weighed what the scale said.  However, your scale tested right.  If you check it several more times, including on the water tests as Ceph said and it still tests right I would throw the camera man in the water. ;)

If I was just guessing from your pictures I would say your scale is off. I can't imagine that either of those fish weighed what the scale said. However, your scale tested right. If you check it several more times, including on the water tests as Ceph said and it still tests right I would throw the camera man in the water. ;)

Well, there is no camera man. I used the timer function on my camera. Have to when I'm alone.

I appreciate all the help guys. I'm a bit disappointed as these are definitely the biggest bass I've ever caught and I don't know what either of them weigh. I thought the Xtools scale would be a good mid-priced scale. I will do some extensive testing of the scale, but I'm not expecting positive results.

I'm 6' tall and If my bathroom scale is correct I weigh 240 lbs if that helps with the perspective.

On the bright side, I had a great time catching them and it's good to know that both of these fish are back in the water getting even larger day by day. :)

BTW- both fish were caught on a white buzzbait. The first one on a Strike King and the second on a Cavitron.