Sign in to follow this  
BoroBass

Does dye have any effect on fishing?

Every time I witnessed chemicals used to control vegetation the results were not good  ;)

My fishing buddy's mother put chemicals in their wonderful pond that was being overgrown with hydrilla and she killed all of the grass and fish.  At least most of the fish.

This was a fantastic pond to fish.  We would use thier jon boat and paddle all over the pond and land bass from the dinks up to 4 pounds on almost every cast.

The bream population was large and healthy, too.

At Lake Chesdin the locals put chemicals in their creek to remove the grass.  It worked.  Killed the creek for fishing, too.

So if you are going to use any chemicals in your pond may I suggest getting with your game and inland fisheries people for their guidance and help?

Your good intentions could lead to a disaster.

I'd say buy a couple of grass carp from a fishery/hatchery depending on the size of the pond and turn them in and let them foarge the vegetation rather than use a dye. Most likely they will have to re-stock the pond anyway so a couple of grass carp (or at least 1) may not hurt.

I have a pond in my backyard, and i put dye in it, at the beginning of the summer and usually once during the summer and it has zero effect on the fishing.  The dye doesn't kill the vegetation, it just slows down its spread.  If you put chemicals in there that kill the grass, you have to be extremely careful not too add too much or you will kill the fish also.