Sign in to follow this  
Bass_Akwards

I really need help.  Very frustrated.

Guys please give me some advice, I'm blown away, and speechless.  \

I was catching a bass all summer at my local ponds. The days have gotten much shorter the last 3 weeks.  I don't think the temperature change in the water has gone down enough to really slow the fishes feeding habits to a crawl, but I can barely catch a d**n thing anymore.

live in Colorado. The ponds I fish are old gravel pits ranging from about 15-30 acres in size.   They rarely get deeper than 12 feet or so.  85% of what I fish is no deeper than about 9 feet I'd say.  It's nearly impossible to fish with a crank bait because theres lots of vegatation a few feet under water.

I caught 2 bass an hour this summer averaging about a pound, getting up to 4.10 pounds.  For the last 3 weeks I can't seem to catch a d**n thing.

I'm fishing from shore, and I'm fishing both the places I fished all summer, as well as trying other spots.  I'm usually targeting isolated weed beds with Senkos, Yum Dingers, or Brush hogs.  At dusk or dawn I'm fishing black buzzbaits and jitter bugs(trying to avoid getting hung up)  nothings working!

I feel like I'm in fishing hell.  What do I do?  Can a color change in my soft plastics actually be the difference?  Did the fish move?  Theres no shad in these ponds so I cant exactly follow the shad, nor do I know the topography of the ponds.  It's like the fish learned what a Senko is, and won't bit it any more.  

Anyone have any advice to put me on some bass?  Like I said, I went from about 2 an hour, and an average of about a pound, to getting 1 every three hours, and it's usually small.  I just don't get it.

Thanks!

Todd

Days usually sunny and in the 80's.  Nights in the 50's

I seriously doubt that a color change in soft plastics makes a big difference, but try a variety of colors if you think otherwise.

I've done a huge amount of shore fishing and have experienced a wide variety of problems that made me feel like I was in fishing hell, to use your term. I can't give you specific advice for that kind of water, as I've never fished gravel pits.

If you think these waters offer you the best chance of success, I'd put in a lot of time, use a variety of lures and cover a lot of water. Fall lures I use most from shore over weeds are crankbaits, inline spinners, spinnerbaits and topwaters as long as the temperatures stay high enough (for me that's been mid-50s).

Good luck.

Just a couple of things that come to my mind are a vibration bait or spinnerbait above the grass.Wind and/or clouds will aid to these lures.You may be able to draw reaction strikes from lockjawed fish.

A pegged t-rig to punch down into the grass.Bass will bury in the grass for different reasons but you mentioned sunny days and that would be reason enough.Switch up your presentations.Slow down and speed up.If there are bass in there,they're is something,someway that will catch them.Good Luck

It's like the fish learned what a Senko is, and won't bit it any more.

This might be part of your answer.  Perhaps the fish are beginning to get "used to you."  It may be time to throw them, and yourself, a curveball.  Give other lures a shot.  Give the fish a different presentation.

Maybe you're just in a dry spell and it might be time to fish new water or take a little time off.  Fish for a different spiecies even.

Just a couple of things that come to my mind are a vibration bait or spinnerbait above the grass.Wind and/or clouds will aid to these lures.You may be able to draw reaction strikes from lockjawed fish.

A pegged t-rig to punch down into the grass.Bass will bury in the grass for different reasons but you mentioned sunny days and that would be reason enough.Switch up your presentations.Slow down and speed up.If there are bass in there,they're is something,someway that will catch them.Good Luck

+1

frogs...heavy t-rigs...chatterbaits w/braid....Mattlures baby bluegill....3;16 Mission Fish...baby bass and bluegill patterns and darker colors...try fishing at different times of the day.

If there is no shad then what are the bass feeding on?

50 degrees at night might have been enough to move the bass so try finding deeper areas or fish during the heat of the day.

i know what your going through man

my senko fishing days are up, i was averagiong about 5 bass an outing (about 2 hours) on senkos, but for the last 4 months havnt gotten one on a senko

heres what i did.....what the guy said, a curveball....and i was IN YOUR EXACT SHOES

try a yamomoto kreature weightless with a 3/0 or 4/0 hook....try weightless if thats your thing and just let it hit the bottom, and pick it up, let it fall

or you could let it sit on the bottom for 15-20 secs, and slowly tip your rod up

iv caught a couple after i brought the kreature up to the surfice, just high enough to peirce the top of the water, and let it fall

Try a spider jig if you want a little more weight, fish it the same, but maybe a little slower

try a tube bait, hook it through the nose, and let it fall and sit......iv been having tubes getting picked up while sitting still on the bottom about a min or so after the cast

Spinners are great, but for me, they are very off and on, not as consistant as soft plastic

Also, stay away from senkos for the rest of the season, make it your goal to catch a variety of fish with a variety of bait

next season, dont use anything too much and you will have a nice variety of lures to catch fish with....remmeber not to overuse anything, especially in the same area over and over again

DONT GET FRUSTRATED AND START REELING IN TOO FAST,......take your time, youll get over it

also, dont discredit really shallow water close to the shore, iv had some big ones grab it while i was lifting it out of the water lately

I experienced this same situation last year. A local lake went from being one of the better lakes in the state to one of the toughest. It is a fishery where the bass would feed primarily on yellow perch and it was just easy pickins'. But then DEM decided to stock the lake with hearing and the lake just became really tough. There were just herring scattered everywhere not schooled up or anything. So the bass were so focused on the herring they wanted nothing to do with what you offered them, and its kind of hard to immitate a one inch bait fish successfully. But now they school up and you chase the bait and catch the bass. Just give your lake time. Bass can be "lock-jawed" for a day or so but they have to eat something. Figure out what it is and you'll get them. It takes a lot of time but it is worth it.

It's like the fish learned what a Senko is, and won't bit it any more.

This might be part of your answer. Perhaps the fish are beginning to get "used to you." It may be time to throw them, and yourself, a curveball. Give other lures a shot. Give the fish a different presentation.

Maybe you're just in a dry spell and it might be time to fish new water or take a little time off. Fish for a different spiecies even.

Yea I really agree with the above. I was a pond pounder throwing 3 different color senkos and the fish finally got lock jaw. I would go with a weightless trick worm to keep you above the weeds or start throwing a fluke.

I started throwing more flukes,sluggo's and started increasing my fish counts. Also you may want to consider as previously mentioned to give that place a rest.

Good Luck

A gravel pit that's only 12 feet deep? That would be rare around here. I'd suggest that the fish are in deeper water. Your best bet from shore would be a C-rig. You can toss it a good distance, and you'll be able to "read" the structure from shore. The fish may have just moved to the first drop-off away from shore line cover, waiting for conditions to stabilize. You can find that drop with a C-rig. Any plastic will work on the C-rig, including your favorite Senko.

Cheers,

GK

I just re-read the first two sentences, and they sound a little snotty. Please don't take it that way; I didn't mean it to be condescending.

If you are right about the size of pits being 10 to 30 acres and more than like much deeper than 18 feet for bass to survive in Colorado, consider this;

The shorter days of the fall cool the water very fast and the bass need to relocate to where they spend the cold water period in that ecosystem. Pits are usually spring fed and that is where the bass are going to end up for the winter, because it will be the warmest water available. You don't have shad in those ponds as the water is too cold during the winter. What bass (LMB or SMB?) are feeding on is minnows, suckers, pan fish, frogs and crawdads. Down size your offering and try slip or drop shot with 5" Roboworm oxblood w/lt red flake and Aaron's magic worms or Yamamoto double tail grubs in watermelon w/red/blk/purple flakes. If you don't use those brands find something similar. The original Rapala broken back F11 in black back/silver is also one of the best pond lures. A small buzzer works in the afternoons when the bass are roaming around. You can locate the springs by finding circular patch of fog coming off the water very early in the morning as the air temperature warms the water surface. Good luck.

WRB

Guest avid

If you re-read your post, I think the answer will jump out at you.

Your fishing the same pattern over and over.

The conditions have changed but your approach is the same.

You need to experiment a little.

Not only is this fun, but when you "discover" the magic pattern you'll feel Like KVD

go git em.

If you re-read your post, I think the answer will jump out at you.

Your fishing the same pattern over and over.

The conditions have changed but your approach is the same.

You need to experiment a little.

Not only is this fun, but when you "discover" the magic pattern you'll feel Like KVD

go git em.

I can't add much to avid's post, that's some good advice there.   8-)

As far as specific lures, I have been having some luck with the Cavitron Buzzbait (black on black, 3/8 oz); GYCB Kreature fished like a spinnerbait (steady retrieve with an occasional twitch); Mattlures Baby Bass and comparable size Sorm swimbaits; 1/2 oz Micro Munch Tackle black & blue jig with a blue Uncle Josh pork trailer and a Norman Fat Boy. With a little change in weather, the fishing at my ponds has picked up.