Sign in to follow this  
BassChump

Absolute Newbie to Bass fishing

I just bought an old bass boat on a whim and I don't have a clue as to what to do, how to fish. Not only fish for bass but even fishing in general. I lost my wife in a car accident a few years ago and I haven't done a thing to enjoy my family for the last 5 years.

I bought this boat so I could enjoy some quality time with my 14 year old daughter and I want to know what I can do to make her time on the water more enjoyable so she can have some good memories of growing up with dear old dad.

So can you guys help me out a bit????

I live in Florence Oregon. One of the, if not the best fishing area on the west coast. We have great salmon fishing, crabbing, clamming, a great river that flows thru the middle of town but best of all, we have well over 25 lakes within 10 minutes of town. 2 of them in particular are known for being great bass lakes. Siltcoos lake and Tachenich lake.

I have taken the boat out on a lake that is 2 minutes from my office and while I have caught a few small bass on the only lure I had at the time, I know it can get much better. Just a gold blue fox. I had a great time but I'm looking for my daughter to catch some fish and have a good time. We haven't done that in a long time and hence my decision to get the boat. It's not fancy but it works. It's just an old Bayliner but it does have everything the new boats has including the foot operated trolling motor up front. I got it really cheap because the guy couldn't get the engine to work correctly and since I'm a pretty fair mechanic, I took a chance and bought it with the intention of selling it and making some money. Turns out it was just a dollar part. I installed a new fuel pump diaphram and it runs great. I took it out on one of the many lakes around here and I'm hooked now but I am hoping to learn how to bass fish and have some fun with my daughter.

Remember, we are as new to this as it gets so I'd appreciate any help.

post-10939-13016300819_thumb.jpg

The best advice I can provide is just to read the articles and posts already available on this site.  There's a a wealth of knowledge here...

The best advice I can provide is just to read the articles and posts already available on this site. There's a a wealth of knowledge here...

x2

there are some great articles for beginners. Thats where I learned alot about bass fishing when I first started.

Welcome aboard!

Start here: http://bassresource.com/beginner/beginner.html

(You can also access this in the "Fishing Articles" section at the top of the page.)

The best thing you can do on the water is to hire a guide for a day or two. Tell the guide that you are brand new so you can both decide if the outing is suitable for both of you. If not, talk with other guides, someone will be interested in working with a newbie.

Here is another thread you may find helpful:

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1182371999

Welcome aboard!!  I am sorry to hear about your wife.  However, it seems you are on the right path.  There are some very knowledgeable people here.  Roadwarrior is just one of many who dispenses some great advice.  Read the suggested articles.  Try out the techniques you learn and, if you have questions, post them for some insightful answers.  Good luck!!

Welcome!

I'll take a different approach.  Let fishing be secondary to time on the water with your daughter.  I have 4 daughters (God help me), ages 6 to 32 (two still at home).  Each one of them is different.  Some like fishing, and some couldn't care less about fishing but like the boat.  14 is definitely an interesting age!  Dad's aren't cool anymore at that age.  Yes, learn the basics of fishing, but more importantly, make the outing enjoyable for your daughter.  With me, that means having a daughter take a friend along.  Just be there for them, providing some food and drinks, music, doing a little fishing, pulling them on a tube or skis, letting them yak away, reading, sunning themselves, or even talking on the cell phones.  You can fish while they are being themselves, just don't make it all about fishing.  You might come off a little embarrassing in front of your daughter, but their friends will think you're cool, which elevates you in your daughters eyes (without her ever telling you that until years later).  Her fond memories and yours will be quite different regarding the trips, but you both can come away with great stories to tell your grandkids in years to come.  When she gets bored, go home.  Don't force them into a drawn out trip that they won't enjoy, or the appeal of going out on the boat will soon wane.  Good luck.  Life is short, it goes by faster than you think.  Enjoy.

This is going to sound stupid, because there's so much more to fishing than just one lure or bait.  It takes years to figure out bass behavior and the right combinations of fishing tackle to land lots of bass consistantly.  But if you want to go on the boat tomorrow and don't have a clue still as to how to catch anything, at very least, read an article, or google how to texas rig a soft plastic worm.  I'd google "texas rig photos"

Texas rigging a worm is super simple, and once you do it, you have a bait that you can fish in almost any type of water.  It's weedless so you will find it difficult to get hung up.  After you learn to texas rig it, pick a worm that works great traditionally, like a Senko or *** worm(i think they're called trick sticks but im not sure)  After you learn to texas rig, and after you go buy a bag or two of darker colored Senkos like watermellon w/black flake, or black with blue flake, read a 10 minute article on this board about the correct way to present your worm and retrieve it.  All this should take about 30 minutes of reading and a 10 minute trip to the local tackle shop.  Traditionally, soft plastics are a crushing way to catch fish anywhere.  

Good luck

Welcome!

I'll take a different approach. Let fishing be secondary to time on the water with your daughter. I have 4 daughters (God help me), ages 6 to 32 (two still at home). Each one of them is different. Some like fishing, and some couldn't care less about fishing but like the boat. 14 is definitely an interesting age! Dad's aren't cool anymore at that age. Yes, learn the basics of fishing, but more importantly, make the outing enjoyable for your daughter. With me, that means having a daughter take a friend along. Just be there for them, providing some food and drinks, music, doing a little fishing, pulling them on a tube or skis, letting them yak away, reading, sunning themselves, or even talking on the cell phones. You can fish while they are being themselves, just don't make it all about fishing. You might come off a little embarrassing in front of your daughter, but their friends will think you're cool, which elevates you in your daughters eyes (without her ever telling you that until years later). Her fond memories and yours will be quite different regarding the trips, but you both can come away with great stories to tell your grandkids in years to come. When she gets bored, go home. Don't force them into a drawn out trip that they won't enjoy, or the appeal of going out on the boat will soon wane. Good luck. Life is short, it goes by faster than you think. Enjoy.

+1   8-)

Especially, "When she gets bored, go home."

What Zel said...

If YOU catching fish looks like fun, they'll try it. I would go after panfish rather than bass, though...much easier to find in numbers thereby increasing the activity level. I don't know what kind of panfish you might have in the great Northwest, but down here we have crappie, bluegill, white and yellow sandbass, etc. These can really put up a fight on light tackle...oh, yeah, they'll love it...

Once again, like Zel said, make it an outing, not a fishing trip...let your daughter (and friends) dictate the day...and ENJOY!

Welcome to the best fishing site on he net. As has been mentioned, read the articles and ask questions and before you know it, you'll have a PHD in bass fishing.

More than anything, take Zel's advice. A day on the water with Dad and a friend will almost always be successful. A slow, boring day of fishing will be a fast turn-off.

Good luck,

Falcon

Triple ditto to what Zel said. I also thought the bluegill/panfish/crappie suggestion was/is excellent advise. Your daughter would have a great time catching them if she wanted to fish. There's always the old standby bottom fishing for catfish that is usually productive in most lakes and a very relaxing way to spend some time fishing. The quest for bass can be both frustrating, boring, and exhausting, IMO.

x10 What everyone said.....This site is the best.....I am also new and everyone on here is awesome.

I cannot say enough about everyone...

Short Version of what I have learned and hope you can use it to lessen any frustrations

The Texas Rig is your best friend

Learn the Polomor Knot .... then continue to practice other knots

Re-Tie your line (cut off a section of line) and put on a new hook every bad snag and/or every 3 fish.

Fish SLOW...then fish SLOWER than you were when you thought that was slow.

I am bad for this  ::) ....Stick with what is working....Just because you want to use that fancy lure you just bought...If it isn't getting hits....try it another day

+ TONNES more

Do not feel dumb for asking questions I have asked the most basic questions and have never felt condescended....

everyone here is GREAT

Welcome Aboard!

You are one of my favorite types of new members.  A guy who is a blank slate, looking to learn so he can spend quality time with his/her kids.  AWESOME!

Sorry to hear about your wife but I bet she'd be happy to know you are striving to make life with the kids as complete and full as possible.  Fishing sure can help.

For now, there is plenty to read and learn up on.  To keep the kids interested, you may want to look into using live bait at first, it tends to draw a little more action with little expertise needed.

As you progress, hopefully with daughter still in tow, whooping dads butt now and then,you can move up to artificial baits.  Now don't get me wrong, there are some artificials that are VERY easy and VERY productive.

I can't wait to watch you guys progress through the levels, it really brings those of us back to our roots when we help someone like yourself move up through the stages.

Good luck and we look forward to getting to know you better.

Welcome!

I'll take a different approach. Let fishing be secondary to time on the water with your daughter. I have 4 daughters (God help me), ages 6 to 32 (two still at home). Each one of them is different. Some like fishing, and some couldn't care less about fishing but like the boat. 14 is definitely an interesting age! Dad's aren't cool anymore at that age. Yes, learn the basics of fishing, but more importantly, make the outing enjoyable for your daughter. With me, that means having a daughter take a friend along. Just be there for them, providing some food and drinks, music, doing a little fishing, pulling them on a tube or skis, letting them yak away, reading, sunning themselves, or even talking on the cell phones. You can fish while they are being themselves, just don't make it all about fishing. You might come off a little embarrassing in front of your daughter, but their friends will think you're cool, which elevates you in your daughters eyes (without her ever telling you that until years later). Her fond memories and yours will be quite different regarding the trips, but you both can come away with great stories to tell your grandkids in years to come. When she gets bored, go home. Don't force them into a drawn out trip that they won't enjoy, or the appeal of going out on the boat will soon wane. Good luck. Life is short, it goes by faster than you think. Enjoy.

+1 8-)

Especially, "When she gets bored, go home."

Thanks for the wealth of information. Yes 14 is an interesting age but luckily, dad is still pretty cool to her. I think we are closer and dads "coolness" will last quite a bit longer because of several things. My daughter was in the accident that took her mother and we live pretty far out in the sticks so for the most part, dad is cool by the process of elimination. There just isn't anyone else around to let her know that dad really isn't that cool. lol.

I have taken her out fishing a couple of times already and we both enjoyed it even though we didn't catch anything. Just or an hour or so and when she got cold, we went in.

Yes the enitire point is to spend some good time with her while she is still young. That's the whole point of everything. The boat, fishing, time, etc. Catching is actually kinda far down the list but at some point, if we never catch anything then the whole idea wouldn't be any fun to her and that's why I'm here.

Not much panfish around here but lots of trout, bass and salmon.

I've been out on the main river in town lately and caught loads of Blueback. (searun cutthroat trout). Unfortunately when I took my daughter, we didn't catch anything but we pulled up to a cafe on the river and had a great lunch so it all worked out fine. We enjoyed ourselves and that's the point of it all.

It's funny that someone mentioned her talking on the cell phone. The picture here makes one wonder what's more important. Talking to uncle Mike and aunt Francie or fishing. ;D

post-10939-1301630082_thumb.jpg

The picture here makes one wonder what's more important. Talking to uncle Mike and aunt Francie or fishing. ;D

I'll speak for Roadwarrior and lots of other fathers with teenage girls....

WHO CARES AS LONG AS IT'S NOT SOME 16 YR OLD PUNK!!! ;) ;D

Guest muddy

Wealth of knowledge here. I know of three guys who do a lot with their daughters Zel already pipped in and Alpsterand RW: you might want to PM these 2 And good fishing to you

The picture here makes one wonder what's more important. Talking to uncle Mike and aunt Francie or fishing. ;D

I'll speak for Roadwarrior and lots of other fathers with teenage girls....

WHO CARES AS LONG AS IT'S NOT SOME 16 YR OLD PUNK!!! ;) ;D

Very good point. She doesn't have the "boyfriend" thing going yet but I'm sure that's right around the corner. I have a feeling that 16 year old punk is going to have a bad time with dad. I'll be cleaning my rifle while asking him what kind of car he has, his GPA, what college he will go to, what his major will be, a full financial disclosure, copies of his car and life insurance policies, where they are going, what they are doing and telling him they ARE going to be back at home in 89 minutes and the clock is running. I'll also include the sentence, " I have no problem going BACK to prison". lol. Not true of course but it's a scare tactic.

One thing my daughter doesn't know and hopefully she won't find here is that our cell phones have GPS. I can hit a couple of buttons and find where her phone is withing about 10 feet. That's a handy feature to have.