Sign in to follow this  
jjm0414

General Question

I'm fairly new to fishing and will be going this weekend in Alabama on Lake Tuscaloosa.  I do not have a boat and will be fishing off a dock and off the shore near some reeds.  For this time of year and the location of where I'll be fishing from does anyone have any tips.  Like I said,  Im new to this and would love to learn methods and tricks.

Will spinnerbaits work for this time of year?  

WELCOME to the forums!!! IMHO Bass are probably getting away from the dog days. When the weather starts cooling down they start eating better until cold weather when they slow down because of their metabolism. Along with spinnerbaits you might try any other baits you feel comfortable with. Good time of year here in the South...

As Ever,

skillet

Get some Senko worms.  Rig them weightless and also rig them with a small split shot weight about a foot up the line.  Fish them slow and on the bottom.  Stay until after dark and keep fishing.  Plenty of after dark action.

From the bank you can also drop shot.  The heavy weight will get you some long casts. If you do get a strike, take up ALL the slack and stick hard as you will have lots of line out.

I fish from the bank a lot and  nearly always catch something using these methods.

I would also throw a topwater early and late. Pop'r r a LC Sammy or copy. Work the edges of the reeds, the closer the better. The fishing should be awesome. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Welcome, Jim. I lived in Tuscaloosa for a while back in the '70s...went to school there...ROLL TIDE!

A spinnerbait works anytime...or so I hear...I rarely use them.

I would toss a Pop-R or a shallow-running crankbait...they require no expertise to work and they catch the heck outta LMB! AND they are a lot more fun to fish with, IMHO.

The good news is that, starting now and for the next few weeks, you could throw a tin can out there and a couple of LMB would hit at it!

Have fun and let us know how you did...take a tape measure or scale and a camera!