Sign in to follow this  
Bassnajr

Seagulls..like other water birds?????

Hello all...

I have a small (100 acres) pond near my house that I fish all the time. All summer, I saw the Herrons and other water birds all over the shore of the pond. (As "they" say, look for the birds, and the bass will be nearby). In the morning and early evening large numbers of seagulls land on the pond and congregate (on the water) in very specific areas of the pond.

Now the question: Are the gulls feeding on the same forage as Herrons etc. and should the bass be nearby? I think that they are flying rats, but hey, maybe seagullls have a real purpose. Answers, comments ideas?????

bassinajr

Normally, the gulls I have encounter will hover above the water and dart down and pick off wounded bait fish that have been driven to the surface.

Easy to see, they will have shad or some sort of bait fish visible in their mouth.

If I may add, when winter has arrived in your region, the best grass on the lake will have the coots feeding on it. Great way to locate the "greener" grass.

Some mey call them coots, others mud hens.

Matt

Don't forget that in R.I. the gulls hang out at Burger King, Wendy's and McDonalds too!  ;D  And the landfill!!! Ask tin2win about that one! lol

Seriously tho, I only pay attention to seagulls when on the bay...trying to find blues. Two weeks ago there was 1000 seagulls in front of the Sauderstown Yacht Club, and suddenly the cove comes alive with blues like you read about. Lasted for 30 minutes.

I have come across schooling fish only twice in RI in RWP this time of year last year the bass and gulls where gorging on white perch and I have seen fish schooling in Indian going after the balls of herring. Both times I noticed it from watching the seagulls and not so much fish breaking on the surface. So you can learn from them.

As for the seagulls that live around Old Smokey, they tend to go for the garbage rather than the fish in Upper Simmonsville, lol.

THIS is what Matt is talking about  :D  This is a very small school.  When the school covers 4-5 acres, it's something else!!  When those 4-5 acres schools start stacking up on one another, well,....that's heaven!

I hate Seagulls, they are like flying rats around here. Hey Russ that was a nice chopper Bluefish. We have those around here in the late fall and early spring, however some of those big choppers have not been around as much they were 25 years ago when I was kid catching them off the surf on Masonboro Island with my Grandfather.

I hate Seagulls, they are like flying rats around here. Hey Russ that was a nice chopper Bluefish. We have those around here in the late fall and early spring, however some of those big choppers have not been around as much they were 25 years ago when I was kid catching them off the surf on Masonboro Island with my Grandfather.

I hear ya Big T.  Same here.  Even to get a 10-15 lbr you have to be out by the islands (Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket/Block)

There is no better inshore gamefish that I've found yet. IMO  World Record is 31.12    Can you imagine??? ::)

I always grew up calling a seagull a dumpster chicken. Nastiest things on earth, I think they enjoy flying overhead and trying to poop on you.

Russ,

Those pics are awesome man, that also reminds me of watching for the birds in the spring for bonito.

Many hold seagulls in low esteem, but I have the utmost respect for their ability to locate food (Wendys or 25 miles offshore)

I well remember when Boston Whalers inundated the Jersey coast, joined later by Makos and Wellcrafts.

Anglers in two-piece Helly Hansens spent half their day donning binoculars to chase after gulls and terns.

I'd be less than honest if I didn't admit that seagulls have put a ton of fish in my boat.

Like Most Things, It Works Both Ways:

Though we've spent hundreds of hours fishing in large flotillas, I much prefer to be fishing in some lonely spot by myself.

Before too long, I would generally tire of the mob scene and punch out into the big blue to find my own fish.

It's a great feeling to come off plane over your own secret little ridge, without a boat or seagull in sight.

If all goes well, somebody sticks the first fish and plops it onto the deck.

Then just like magic, two seagulls appear out of "nowhere", then it's six gulls, then it's a couple dozen!

In this situation, the gulls have now become 'The Enemy'. It's only a matter of time when some angler will spot the gulls,

and a new fleet will form around your boat >:(

After all is said and done, seagulls remind me of that ole expression, "Masters of all they survey" 8-)

Roger