Sign in to follow this  
IDbasser

Why would anyone...

want to go catch LM when SM are an option, besides having bigger fish for tourneys? ::)  I have been fishing for smallies for several years here in Idaho, and I caught some LM last night.  The smallies fight WAY HARDER than the LM. :o  I was almost disappointed catching LM and wanted to go find some smallies. ;D ;)

Trust me, if small mouth would be available this deep in the south, I would be fishing for them over LM any day.  Pound for pound, smallies fight harder, than any fish I know.  I used to chase em when I lived in Wash. state, would go over to the Gorge, and fish the Deschutes. But they were all pretty small.  

There is a definite difference in the two.

I hear ya, can not wait to get into some smallie action again.  Love those bronze fighting machines.  Even over Steelhead.

I've got giant versions of both within an hour or two of me. Smallies are cool, still rather catch a stud largemouth though.

Trust me, if small mouth would be available this deep in the south, I would be fishing for them over LM any day. Pound for pound, smallies fight harder, than any fish I know.

X2

Posted by: fishbear Posted on: Today at 5:29pm

Trust me, if small mouth would be available this deep in the south, I would be fishing for them over LM any day.  Pound for pound, smallies fight harder, than any fish I know.

TRADERS

Maybe not lb for lb, but ounce for ounce, I think bluegill fight harder than any fish I've ever caught. In the black bass family, no doubt smallmouth.

Maybe not lb for lb, but ounce for ounce, I think bluegill fight harder than any fish I've ever caught. In the black bass family, no doubt smallmouth.

I agree with that. I love fighting a good sized bluegill on light tackle. They fight crazy hard and taste great.

I guess it really depends on where one lives. For me, I live on Long Island New York, and fish the NYC reservoirs. I target Smallies in the spring through the spawn when one can actually find them. But once the summer gets here they generally go deep and are extremely difficult to locate and catch. So my attention turns to LM Bass which are more predictable in their summer locations, and much easier to catch.

You also have to remember that on the NYC reservoirs we're only allowed rowboats and oars, so you just can't cover miles of deep open water. Wnd also plays a major role into where one can and can't fish on a given day.

I like your question IDbasser, and for me the answer might be in your question....

The fact that there is an option provides the variety that most of us appreciate in the challenge of bass fishing.

Then there are the other species...

It's all good  ;)

Big O

I do miss fishing for Smallies in the Monogahelia River in Pittsburgh, PA. I used to catch alot of them under the Smithfield Street bridge by Station Square. Man did those fish fight.

That being said, I'd rather have a better shot at catching a mammoth LMB here in Georgia than anything else.

Fighting characteristics are a subject often brought up on my boat. Interestingly enough, opinions change when they get ahold of some of these southern bass.

No prejudice for ANY fish here, if it has fins and swims, I'm into hooking it.

X2!!!! I'm just happy when I am catching them!!! ;)

Guess you boys never caught a Bluefish then. ;) (Or a Bonito)

X100!!!! Ill be on some big blues mid Sept, going to Brooklyn for 12 days 2 of em will be spent chasing blues , hardest fighting fish i have ever hooked

Back home in PA> I fish for both, most of the time for LMB, given the choice they remain my favorite to catch.

I love catching smallies and catch a ton of em a day.  I prefer going after lmb i guess its the size.  I love catching both tho

Trust me, if small mouth would be available this deep in the south, I would be fishing for them over LM any day. Pound for pound, smallies fight harder, than any fish I know.

X2

ive often wondered wha type of fight a 5 lbs bream would put up......

Have grown up catching smallies and agree they fight the best, but I think some of the most awesome strikes and hookups come from the green fish (i cought a toad on a buzz bait today it was awesome to watch).

For me the breed of fish does not matter much... size does matter ::). But the fun for me in fishing is the fight. I love to hear the drag zing, and the pulse of the pole as that fish tries to shake the hook. Once they are in the boat, you get to brag, and take pictures, but the story you tell will be about the fight it put up. Smallies do that best in my opinion.