Sign in to follow this  
Crankhead

Need a little advice

I'd like a little advice. I'm fishing a clear lake and the weather has been in the 90's with todays high reaching 91. But a cold front is coming. The high temps for the next 2 days is projecting to be: Weds 73 & Thurs 65. Now if you had only 1 day that you could get out, which day would you pick? Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

that question would have me stumped but mainly 73 cause its a drop off but not COLD for them the 63 is where they will become uncomfortable i think 73 theyll be looking to eat up b4 the more cold weather. try slow moving a jig, or senkos, swim baits, etc. i would fish fast search baits. good luck let me know how u do.

Well first off I find cold fronts to be the hardest times to fish. The fish will slow down eating and it makes for a long day. If it were me I would go out when the weather is 73 and fish slowly. The longer you keep the bait in the strike zone the better off you will be. Try slow rolling a spinner bait or a deep diving crank really slow. A jig is also an excellent choice.

Good Luck to you!!!! ;)

If I was able, both. i wouldn't be surprised if the drop in temps didnt send the fish shallow and into a good feeding mood.

Thanks for all of the input guys. Peter E you were right on! I chose last night & hit the water at around 7 pm and fished until the rain got to be too much at around 3 am. What a night! I found all of the smallies and largemouth in less than 10 ft of water out roaming. Once I upped my weights fishing texas style, senkos & flappin' hogs were the baits to use. I caught 20 bass, most were 1-2 lbs but 2 were over 3lbs. The GYCB flappin' hog accounted for 15-17 of the 20 I caught. The hog has been a fantastic bait this year especially for smallmouth.

I have had some great luck with the Flappin' Hog, too.

I fish them as a jig trailer or on the Shak-E2.

8-)

I've been rigging them with a 2/0 superline Gamakatsu, 1/16 bullet weight & Mega Strike jel.

Here in mid America cold fronts this time of year only move the fish tight to cover.  They don't usually change depth.  I have to get the bait right on them to get bites.  Close is only good in horse shoes and hand grenades.  ;D

I'll trade you a cold front for a hurricane or two.....