Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Headwound

Weather effects - when to go fishing

There are a lot of topics here lately about rain and it's effects on fishing, but I just want to note that this topic is intended to be broader than just rain, not to be too redundant.

Ever since I was a kid, I've heard all sorts of this and that about weather and it's effects on fish activity. The old timers always say the fish wont bite if the cows are laying down. Others would say the full moon at midnight will bring a good bite every time. It's been my experience that these two superstitions are just that - superstition.

I've also heard time and time again that a sudden cold front, like that just before a storm, will put the fish into a feeding. One of the most spectacular 45 minutes of bass fishing I've ever had was at one of these times, and it was the middle of August, in broad daylight with a topwater bait. After that incident, I considered the storm front to be a real producer, but I'm not entirely sure if the science backs that up.

The question is this - without going into too much detail (as this subject could take up volumes), what weather conditions generally produce a good bite?

I'm mostly curious about the summer months, since catching bass in the spring and fall is typically a different game altogether (and often an easier one for me).

I've gone out in nearly all conditions, and my results are always mixed. I've fished through all stages of storms, cold fronts, heat waves, high water, low water etc and whether they're biting or not, ultimately, seems entirely random during the hot part of the year.

I just want to hear your opinions, and if you guys would care to share any of your geological cues that you swear by.

Thanks in advance.

Prefrontal & stable conditions year round  ;)

I would agree with Catt, prefontal and stable is optimal, though I would put an emphasis on stable.  A few days of a consistent weather pattern, and I don't mean horrible weather LOL, and at some point the fish will adjust and be hungry.

However, part of the fun can be catching fish in adverse conditions.  it can be a struggle, but catching a few decent fish can be as rewarding as a 50 fish day knowing you overcame the adversity.

My primary concern with weather and I check each day prior to the trip is wind direction. With this info I know boat-handling position. I have found no absolute other than leave well in advance of the thunder storm. I had fantastic fishing in heavy rain, prior to the rain, and after the rain. I've seen cold fronts appear to stop the bite, and I have caught fish on every cast on a cold front. There is truly no indicator that is absolute so my policy is, if it's fishable get out there and try not to dwell on the subject of today's weather.

There's very little science aimed directly at weather and fishing success, except some newer stuff coming out of the UK looking at barometric pressure (see last IF).

I fish smaller shallow waters that don't offer the stability offered by larger water bodies.

In general, I like pre-frontal or stable, in that order.

More specifically, I like post-frontal (yes, you read that right) in early spring, pre-frontal and stable in late spring through late summer (although a warming post-frontal can be good through June here) (In some waters, night is best in mid-summer). I have less experience with the fall, but believe I am seeing post-frontals coming on again by mid-fall. I like any weather but snow in late fall. The first good snow tends to close the fall.

if it's fishable get out there and try not to dwell on the subject of today's weather.

X2

But, if I can pick my days, I choose the above.

i havent been at this too long, but i think there is somthing to this prefrontal = falling baromiter thing.

You want the real skinny? ;D Here it is....fish whenever the heck you want to! I don't care what the weather is doing. Some fish are always willing bite; if you present a decent offering, on a good bottom structure, that has bait relating to it. Fish have to eat....it's their nature. They have no choice. You may have to search around a bit to locate the best "food source"....but once you do, you'll catch bass.

And this site will aid you, in doing what you need to do, when you do find them, in order to catch them.

Just to give a report, I ended up at a smallish, shallow pond. The water was choppy and sprinkling rain was constant, with some pretty annoying wind just strong enough to throw off every cast.

Started bouncing a zoom trickworm off the bottom, and after about 20 minutes of no activity, decided to tie the jitterbug. Then things got interesting.

Tons of small, less than 10 inch bass were crushing it. I'm guessing I had a strike about once a minute. It was nearly frenzied.

I would have stayed longer, but it was getting very dark at that point and I could barely feel my soaked feet (I hear you laughing at me from your boats).

So what does this mean? Is it just the cold front that blew through in the last few days, or did the full day of rain and overcast have anything to do with it? Is there any answer to these questions?

Can't figure it out. It'd be nice if I could though, because I'd be a millionaire.

Stable conditions usually mean a good day of fishing, unless there's no wind.

If I get to the lake and the surface is like glass, I resign myself to having a tough day.

I suggest you take up knitting  ;)

I seem to think that I catch the big ones on a full moon.  I'll try to start tracking the catches with the cycle of the moon.  I hadn't caught a big one until today which is a full moon.

Chad