Sign in to follow this  
wagn

fall water temps?

There was another post about when do you stop fishing because the water or air gets to cold.

My question is at what temps to the fall bite die off and a winter bite kick in?

What i mean by this is when do i need to put away the fast fall baits like spinners and cranks in fairly shallow water as bass are feeding up for winter? And at what water temps should I start really winter fishing with something much slower like a jig or worm?

Last weekend the water temp by me was 59 degrees and I was killing them on spinnerbaits. I wonder how long this will keep up before the fish slow down.

thanks

It depends on a lot of factors including where you live, water depth of the lake your fishing, frontal patterns and so on.

Agree with CATT.

Where I fish for example the fall period generally transitions to the cold water winter period when the water drops to about 55 degrees. The lakes have threadfin shad and trout, so the bass tend to following those  fish into deeper water areas. However, during a warming period of calm weather during the mid winter, bass can be found up and feeding near or on the surface, so keep your eyes open and let the bass dictate where they actually are feeding.

If your lake ices over, that a good indicator it's time to put away the bass tackle and give them a rest.

WRB

Good point Catt. I know there is no specific answer. but general temps are what i'm looking for. I'm NH and only too soon will the water freeze over.

I've just been having a great end of the season with large fish on reaction type baits and don't want to see it end. I'm curious as to how long I can keep it up before it's too cold and I have to slow down.

Looking at NOAA weather your night time temperatures will be ranging in the low to upper 40s through the weekend with low 70s during the days. This weather pattern appears to be stable even with the 30% chance of rain so you should be good at least until the weekend. Now depending on the severity of the cool front moving east across the central states I can't predict beyond that.

I do not like to use any set temperature parameters since the bass refuse to carry thermometers so no one but the bass know when this activity will stop.  

Activity slows down here in MO for me when the temp of the water gets in the low 40°s.

Thanks Catt!

I know that fishing isn't a science, and there are so many variables on each body of water. I'm just always looking for that little edge that can make the difference. If I have good reason to believe that reaction baits will work I'd rather start with those and see if I can get on the bite early.

In the end it's always a process and every day is different. It's just nice to have some sort of plan when I hit the water

Looking at NOAA weather your night time temperatures will be ranging in the low to upper 40s through the weekend with low 70s during the days. This weather pattern appears to be stable even with the 30% chance of rain so you should be good at least until the weekend. Now depending on the severity of the cool front moving east across the central states I can't predict beyond that.

X2. Watch those fronts. Here, it's usually a good snowstorm that finally puts the nail in the coffin. By then the days are too short and sun too low to make it back up. It's "winter".

I know that fishing isn't a science, and there are so many variables on each body of water. I'm just always looking for that little edge that can make the difference. If I have good reason to believe that reaction baits will work I'd rather start with those and see if I can get on the bite early.

In the end it's always a process and every day is different. It's just nice to have some sort of plan when I hit the water

Very well put. Science is about isolating variables. In fishing, we simply have to juggle way too many variables to qualify what we do on the water as science. Some things are more important than others; Sounds like you are on the right tack.