Sign in to follow this  
fish-fighting-illini

Questions for RW

1) A long time ago someone mentioned the typical good times of day to fish ( early am and early pm ). At the time you mentioned one or 2 other times of the day that you thought were under utilized and very good producers. I've had some success recently at a couple of odd times of day. Can you tell me what they were again?

2) You mentioned once to never set the hook more than once. What's your overall logic for this? does it enlarge the hole that the hook made? or just risk ripping it out altogether?

Or are you worried that most will create slack to do it?

( I'm worried about the times that I don't think I got a good hook set )

Thanks,

FFi - AKA Matt Crum

1) Many members consider the middle of the day primetime, Chris Fish prefers exactly noon! Most of my biggest bass, both smallmouth and largemouth were caught between 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM. The fish in my avatar came at about 11:30 and 1:00.

2) Sharp hooks and a quick set with drive a hook into a fish. The resistance from the fish will bury it deeper. Double setting can pull a hook out. I can't tell you how many times a landed fish is just barely hooked, but the bigger smallmouth in my avatar was skin-hooked on the outer lip. The amount of tissue holding the fish was microscopic! Over time, more fish will be lost double setting than will be landed verses a single, solid snap-set.

8-)

The only time I ever employed a double hookset was many moons ago when using jigs with pork trailors during winter and braid wasn't invented for fishing yet.

Pork is known for fouling the hook and double hooksets was common trying to drive that hook home.   With the invention of braid and new pliable plastics for trailors now days, I rarely use pork anymore.

Hey RW,

I saw a seminar by Ken Penrod a couple years back. He was talking tube fishing for smallies at the time. He was recommending that you hit them twice intially. Now he was using spinning tackle (think it was a 6' 6" M-MH Gator rod) and it had a softer tip. Do you see the logic behind his technique? I'm usually throwning tubes on my flippin stick so I never tried or adopted his technique. He's actually the one that turned me onto Mizmo tubes!

Hey RW,

I saw a seminar by Ken Penrod a couple years back. He was talking tube fishing for smallies at the time. He was recommending that you hit them twice intially. Now he was using spinning tackle (think it was a 6' 6" M-MH Gator rod) and it had a softer tip. Do you see the logic behind his technique? I'm usually throwning tubes on my flippin stick so I never tried or adopted his technique. He's actually the one that turned me onto Mizmo tubes!

No.

The precentages are against you.

8-)