Sign in to follow this  
I.rar

my hunt for a fishing spot failed today.

:(

i drove around for about an hour , after staring at google/yahoo maps for a couple days , trying to find a lake. the ones that looked perfect , had 'NO FISHING , SWIMMING OR BOATING' signs all over , and i respect them , so i didnt even bother. the other i went to had so many trees and crap all over it seemed impossible to get through. the last one was in a residential area with houses all over. there was a spot with a few kids fishing off a 'beach-like' area but it was super crowded. the only other spot i could of went was off a main street on a trail that went to another part of the 'no fishing' lake with no signs around. but my truck is having issues and i didnt want to push it.

all of this was about 5-10 miles from my house. i almost stopped a guy i saw with a fishing pole to ask him where he goes or whats around, but by the time i turned around , he was gone.

to give you a little background about my area , im in miami , in the 33157 area. very close to the ocean and i go saltwater if i want to fish in my area. otherwise , i fish fresh when im up in broward.

sorry for the rant/sob story , but it was a major letdown.

question for you guys - how do you find your spots? and how far do you drive to get to them?

First, I would post my request in the Southeast Fishing area of the forum.

Second, I would visit local tackle shops and ask the guys working there. They should have some information.

Third, can you contact the Florida Game and Fisheries to see if they can help you?

After that, all I can sugget is getting a good color map of area which will show the various lakes and ponds and go from there.

But keep trying.  Your "honey hole" is right around the corner.  ;)

Try going to the SOUTHEAST FORUM, and post a question there, or look for smaller tackle stores close buy, particularly those selling freshwater/bass tackle and live bait. You can also look for a nearby Bass Club.call em and join em,.

Try going to the SOUTHEAST FORUM, and post a question there, or look for smaller tackle stores close buy, particularly those selling freshwater/bass tackle and live bait. You can also look for a nearby Bass Club.call em and join em,.

i posted a similar question in that section of the forum and didnt get any luck.

most , if not all the tackle shops around, strictly sell saltwater gear. like i said , im right next to the ocean. i will give that a try tomorrow though. i may check out that trail as well. im almost positive theres fish in there since the lake has been there for ages (it used to be an old rock quarry a LONG time ago before the houses went up around it) i just dont wanna get stuck. so i may be footin' it.

but how do you guys do it? just have a rig ready to go and cast at any possible spot? or is there a special way to go about it?

I have a 2 piece spinning rod and a small tackle box I keep behind the seat of my S-10, if I pass a pond and or lake that looks good I pull over , or go back to it. See if it's posted and if not I fish it, otherwise I will keep an eye on it and if it looks good i will see if i can get permission.

I am fortunate enough to have two outstanding lakes within 15 minutes of my house. I haven't always been so lucky, however, and in the past I've been known to drive a very long way to fish. If you are looking for something close, I would suggest talking to the local game warden and tackle shop owners. You're not going to get any secret honey holes out of these guys, but they should be able to point you in the right direction.

http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#mvt=h&lat=25.561195&lon=-80.338572&zoom=16&q1=cutler%20bay%20florida

not sure if you can see that , but thats what seems to be the spot. on the western side , is the no fish zone. but you can see the trail on that little patch of land in the center that seems to be it.

http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#mvt=h&lat=25.567389&lon=-80.325955&zoom=17&q1=cutler%20bay%20florida

this was the other spot (where the road goes between the two) that looked to be a mission to get into.

sad thing is , about 5 years ago , there wasnt any houses in the area. nothing but solid trails that went around both areas and the fish were there. now there is so many people in the area , it makes it a pain to even think about going there.

First, I would post my request in the Southeast Fishing area of the forum.

Second, I would visit local tackle shops and ask the guys working there. They should have some information.

Third, can you contact the Florida Game and Fisheries to see if they can help you?

After that, all I can sugget is getting a good color map of area which will show the various lakes and ponds and go from there.

But keep trying. Your "honey hole" is right around the corner. ;)

I think I need to learn to type faster. You posted that while I was typing mine.

well , it seems that these would be the perfect place to go. wide open lakes , plenty of cover in alot of areas. what else could you need?

i wasnt expecting to get any specific spot out of anyone , just a general idea of whats fish-able.

i brought along two 2-piece rigs. my UL and the M action fugly stick combo. im just dying to drop a line into some local freshwater.

Plenty of lakes around here so I am not in your shoes but, I have seen pics on this site from fellas catching peacocks and largemouth in the canals in Miami. I have never been there so I couldn't help you specifically.  

i know i can hit up the canals , but id rather find my own spot where i can maybe bring a nice folding chair and relax if i wanted. on those canals , id be right next to a road or in someones backyard. and i dont personally know anyone who stays on one.

Geez...I don't know, but half out membership faces "hard water".

If you don't get some good general advice, I'll move your post to "Southeast".

8-)

I don't know from what I've seen you have checked out 4 or 5 spots & I see a couple hundred on the map so don't give up yet. Sometimes it takes lots of digging to find a Honey hole be it by land or by boat.

well , another day of nothing.

i did check out the one spot near the park with a beach liek area and got a bite , but there were so many ducks around and im sure that didnt help either. then some people started showing up with their kids and dogs , so i just left since it got crowded.

i found out that the lake with the trail has no fishing signs all around , so that rules that one out too.

and with my truck acting the way it is , i dont see myself driving 20-30 miles one way to find a lake. ill see what the local tackle shop says tomorrow , but so far it isnt looking too good for my area.  :(

When I was younger I had to drive at least 65 miles one way to go to Greenwood or a bit closer for Harriman to get any real kind of fresh water action.  Where I live now, I have found a lot of spots, just by driving around. Man you are 21, go out enjoy the adventure. It is better than getting it handed to you

its not that i dont want to adventure out (i love adventures , lol) , my truck just limits my distance. id like to make sure i make it home.

its not like im giving up hope. it just gets me down that all these spots that used to be great , arnt anymore. im sure you understand.

i know ill find a spot , just not sure how long itll take me...

The toll roads all most always have ponds next to them, I find these to be a honey holes. check around the turn pike, all ways canals along there. The place I fish the most is one of the small 2-3 acer lakes around the Jupiter Turn Pike, it's no more than 10 min. from my house!

I plan to go check out some lakes I saw on Google maps, All close, I could ever ride my bike!

its not that i dont want to adventure out (i love adventures , lol) , my truck just limits my distance. id like to make sure i make it home.

its not like im giving up hope. it just gets me down that all these spots that used to be great , arnt anymore. im sure you understand.

i know ill find a spot , just not sure how long itll take me...

Is your truck not fixable ?

it is fixable. i just dont have the cash to drop down to get it fixed. its just one of those trucks where once you take care of one thing , something else messes up. i could of bought another one for the amount of money i put into fixing things. and since i dont have a heater in there , i plan on buying something like a mid-late 90's civic before i move to NC. just for their simplicity.

i think ive found a few canals on the back roads i can check out. ill know whats up with them by this weekend since ive been tied up with work.

Dude I was just in Florida October 11-17 . From the plain I could see hundreds of small lakes and ponds And drove bye Lake Toho. I was in Orlando but I assume southern florida would be much the same.

most of the lakes in my area are surrounded my houses making it impossible to fish there. some have no fishing signs , some have so much trees/brush also making it impossible.

baiscly whats left is canals and other lakes in housing communities with a 'fishing area'. my truck , being in the condition its in , limits my distance for finding a spot.

and im sure someone is thinking about it , i drive less than 5 miles to and from work.

im still trying to get my fiance to go out with me but she doesnt like fishing at all....yet. so untill then , her car is off limits for my ventures.