Sign in to follow this  
Bassboss

If someone asked you....

1) It is my time to relax and take in the outdoors.  No matter how many boats are on the lake, there is always a quiet cove to get away from it all.

2) while it is relaxing it is always a challenge, and ever changing.  No two hours are the same, so it provides me a challenge that I enjoy taking on and preparing for and is in no way associated with work!

Its everything. The challenge of the hunt. The calm of the water before the explosion of a predator searching for its prey. How something that is 1/50 my size can show so much brawn and determination to get away its unreal. The excitement every night before a trip or the morning of. Shooting the bull with your buddy about everything that y'all have been through. Its truly the greatest sport, greatest hobby, greatest time in my life. I truly ,madly , deeply love fishing.

I'll go with a Rick Clunn-like answer.  I enjoy it because it reminds me that I am a part of the environment---not just a part of the "rat race".  I have seen so many things, not fish related, while I'm out fishing---things that most people only see on the Animal Planet channel.  I've seen bald eagles catch thermals and dissapear into the sky.  I've seen a red-tailed hawk catch dinner..and devour it!  

I also enjoy putting the pieces of the puzzle together and finding success!  I have found few things in life that offer me the sense of accomplishment that a successful fishing day does.

Cuz the fish are cuter than my wife, more entertaining, and more fun to chase. ;D

Cuz the fish are cuter than my wife, more entertaining, and more fun to chase. ;D

lol i think we married the same woman

;D That's good.. I hope your wife doesn't check up on you here.

Fishing satisfies my love of the outdoors, my tinkering skills, boat driving abilities, and I can have just as much fun by myself as a do taking a friend.  Gave up hunting some years ago as I can't eat all I can shoot.  Catch and Release feels good knowing some one else can get the same enjoyment out of a lunker I did.  As I am getting older I am finding teaching someone who has the desire to learn about fishing to be the best part, it ranks right up there with catching a personal best.

Never seriously thought about it until now.  It never dawned on me, but looking back, I don't ever remember problem solving on the water.  Any thoughts are directly related to my time on the water.  Now that I think about it, maybe that's why I hate heading back to the landing.

For me it's my prescription for memories.

Some of the best memories I have are from the times we have been camping and fishing.

Time on the water is one way to escape the pressures and stresses involved with work and todays society.

It also is beautiful to see nature in it's most raw form.

I think its the love of the outdoors. I don't hunt anymore so fishing is it. The challenge of figuring things out and to be able to get away from the phones and work. Life tends to surround you at times and it is nice to get away from it, even if it is only for a while.

For the same reason people like to solve puzzles or play chess.  It's the mental challenge plus being outside in the Florida sunshine, wind in your hair, smell of 2 cycle smoke, ect, ect, ect.

I would set a date to go fishing with the person who asked.  :)

On the water, there is a tranquility I can't get any place else. Then there are the fish. Trying to figure out what will work on that particular day.

Falcon

Marriage and old age cured me of all the rest of my vices. The one thing that keeps me sane (for the most part )!!!

skillet

1.  No computer to crash on me.

2.  Outside enjoying God's beauty

3.  No boss

4.  No email, IM, fax, or phone (leave the cell at home or in the car most of the time).

5.  No meetings

6.  Nice to know that I can out smart one of God's cleverst creatures once in a while

7.  The challenge of trying to do "better" than the last time.

For me, it is so much more than about catching a fish. For me, it's almost a spiritual experience. The smell of the water, watching the way the fog hovers over the water in the early morning, the sounds the birds make as they fly overhead. There's no job, no family, no one else. Just me and nature. When I fish, I feel as though I can connect not only with nature, but also with myself.

I love being outside. While I am fishing it gives me the opportunity to bask in the glory of mother nature and forget about all the problems I have in the my life. When I am fishing with my family, it gives me the chance to reminisce about the past and create new memories.  I love the anticipation between fish and the feeling of fish tugging on my line. Last but not least, no one yells at me or tells me what to do while I am fishing.  ;D

Id say "if you have to ask, you probably wouldn't understand."

;)

Too many reasons,and so many memories to list them.  now my biggest thrill is watching others catch one,especially a young kid.  very often while out on the pier i will hand my rod to a kid telling him this snook is too big for me to handle and i need help.  then i give him my rod to reel it in.  makes my day.

because it doesnt suck.

thats my answer too!