Sign in to follow this  
jimmieO

Didn't quite get what you wanted?

How often do you all catch fish other than what you were going for and what kind???

When I go to see the family in Shreveport and fish Caddo, we are all the time catching dang jackfish.

When I lived in Montgomery and fished lake Jordan, it was gou or drum, whatever you want to call them.

Now that I live in Opelika, I fish West Point and have "accidentally" caught quite a few striped bass, more so than the largies or spots. Don't get me wrong, its still a fight and you still get the rush, but when you see that big white joker come to the surface, its a bit disappointing ya know???  Saturday I thought I was setting shattering my personal best when I set the hook, and when I finally got him to the boat......9lb striped bass......

Do you think this is more location or lure oriented????

Catfish.

White Perch.

Stripers.

Bluegills.

Crappie, both black and white.

Chain Pickrel.

Pumpkinseeds.

Shellcrakers, avery large Redear Sunfish.

Logs.

Brush.

Rocks.

Trees.

Bulkheads.

Ropes.

Various places on moored boats.

Carpet.

Other fishermen.

Pants and shirts.

Grass.

Weeds.

Lilly Pads.

And the list goes on and on and on......  ;D   ;D   ;D

LOL Sam....my list is not that extensive...but yeah, we all do it if on the water enough. I can tell you I fished Conroe Sunday and got skunked for the first time on that lake. A 9 pound anything (bass, striper, catfish, goo, whatever) would have been welcomed!

JimmyO,

Location is more important that the lures.

How good is it if you throw the correct lure where there are no fish?

If you throw anything around the bass they may hit it.

So you need to find the bass first, and they try various baits and presentations.

Check out KVD's DVD, Strategies for Changing Conditions, from Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World Video Library and you will learn a lot.  The DVD comes with the 3 DVD Set and it is cheap.

But don't tell anyone about this DVD!!!!  ;)   ;)   ;)

That is part of the fun around here in Northern NY.  

Could be a;

Smallmouth

Largemouth

Rock Bass

Pickeral

Northern Pike

Musky

Striper

Catfish

Dogfish

Sheephead

Crappie

Bluegill

Walleye

Burbot

Sauger

White bass

Steelhead

Rainbow Trout

Lake Trout

Coho

Chinook Salmon

Atlantic Salmon

Brown Trout

Brook Trout

Whitefish

Bullhead

Goby

Sturgeon

Perch

Herring

Shad

Carp

Goldfish

Quillback

Grass Carp

Sucker

Longnose Gar

American Eel

This is just to name a few off the top of my head I am sure there are a lot more. :)

Don't really have too much of that problem around here in freshwater at least.The gar can really get you going though >:( Nothing like throwing a topwater frog and getting several dozen hits from them.They will also destroy a spook or popper on occasion. Mudfish are a real trip too.Nothing like throwing a big 10 inch worm and getting a freight train slamming strike and thinking it is a 7lb+ bass only to see an ugly grinning set of teeth.

Once in awhile while fishing for SM we catch these.  Does not matter on what.  This one was caught on a crankbait.

(face is smudged due to I don't know if he would want his pic posted online)

post-12412-130163011197_thumb.jpg

This happened to me a few times this summer while night fishing.  Walleyes, although considered great table fare, were kind of annoying to me this year.  Throwing cranks around docks and riprap in spots that normally produce larger bass, only to be somewhat let down by ol' marble eyes.  White bass are becoming a nuisance around the lake as well.  Another let down fish that's not even supposed to be in the lake.  Can't figure out how those things got in there.   :-/  

I catch different species certain times of year. Drums are the worst when the water is cool. Sauger, crappie, and catfish during the post spawn. Stripers, white bass, and even barfish in the summer and fall. Ocasionally a warmouth or bluegill in the spring.

Once caught a pontoon boat during a night tournament. Bet the owners were ticked when they found the rip in the seat and the $10 bill tucked into the rip.

yea it doesn't happen much but when it happens...man does it happen. I've caught 4 drums over 10 lbs this... I mean last year. I also fished a collegiate bass tournament where I was able to come up with an awesome crappie pattern.  8-)

That is part of the fun around here in Northern NY.

Could be a;

Smallmouth

Largemouth

Rock Bass

Pickeral

Northern Pike

Musky

Striper

Catfish

Dogfish

Sheephead

Crappie

Bluegill

Walleye

Burbot

Sauger

White bass

Steelhead

Rainbow Trout

Lake Trout

Coho

Chinook Salmon

Atlantic Salmon

Brown Trout

Brook Trout

Whitefish

Bullhead

Goby

Sturgeon

Perch

Herring

Shad

Carp

Goldfish

Quillback

Grass Carp

Sucker

Longnose Gar

American Eel

x2

Gotta love the possibilities though!

On the Tennessee River, every fish is a surprise!

We call drum "dumb-dumbs" or "rubber lips". The

best of the trash fish are buffalo. They fight like a

smallmouth, but don't jump.  As luck would have it,

the biggest fish of the day is always something you

don't want!

8-)

Since I can't fish tournaments anymore, I don't mind the "other" fish hitting, because they are usually muskie or walleye. If it's a muskie, it will be a heluva fight, and if it was a walleye........DINNER!!!

Falcon

While bass fishing this year, I caught a lot of barfish, several nice-sized crappie, and some bluegill/shellcrackers as well.  Also had a gar nail a spinnerbait, but it threw it. I was sort of happy about that one getting off.

While bass fishing this year, I caught a lot of barfish, several nice-sized crappie, and some bluegill/shellcrackers as well.  Also had a gar nail a spinnerbait, but it threw it. I was sort of happy about that one getting off.
What are "barfish"?  Is it a colloquialism for yellow perch?

The first time I used a baitcast I accidently hit the thum bar bringing the rod back. I landed the bait right on a gooses wing. The thing took off with my bait stuck to it. When I ran out of line the goose slammed into the ground from like 50 feet up. The bait then popped out and the goose flew away.

Yellow Bass. Sorry. I guess it may be sort of a regional term.

Ahhh, thanks Mike.  One of the temperate basses.  We have two similar species here: http://pond.dnr.cornell.edu/nyfish/Percichthyidae/Percichthyidae.html.