Sign in to follow this  
AverageJoeBass

LMB Fishing on a Small Pond

I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people here on these boards so I thought I would run this by you all and see what your thoughts were.

My in-laws have a 2 acre pond on their property and I fish it everytime I am there.  Well for the past 2 years or so we would catch bass off of live minnows and lures.  We only usually catch bass that are anywhere from a half pound to 2 lbs.  I didn't think there were any big bass in this pond.  Well my nephew caught a bluegill not too big and rigged it up on his line and cast it back out.  Out of the darkness of the pond to where the light shines as he is reeling in the bluegill there is about a 6lb. bass following it trying to eat it.  I thought to myself, wow! there are big bass in this pond.

Now my question is how would ya'll go about trying to catch the big ones that are in the pond?  Any suggestions you can give would be great.  If it matters the pond is near Center, TX.

use bluegill as bait!

Or try some bluegill colored lures.......Big plastic worms will probably do good as well.

Early AM or late PM, black Cavitron buzzbait with a trailer hook.

Senko, rigged wacky.

Shaky Head.

Jig and pig with big profile.

Crankbait.

Frog or worm pulled over pads or through grass, if any in pond.

Jerkbait if the water is cold.

Spinnerbait.

Look for bed and fish for her when bedding but be sure to handle her with kid gloves and release her back into the pond.

Live bluegills.

Large live minnows.

Rat-L-Traps.

Just try a variety of lures to see if you can coax her into striking your lure.

Let us know what happens.

She will be hard to catch be we know you can do it.  ;)

I fish alot of ponds this is what I have had the most success on

Senko: Wacky rigged or texas rigged

Crankbaits: depending on depth but I like shallow cranks, and color depends on the baitfish located in the pond.

Topwater: Spooks, frogs through heavy cover

Also creature baits and grubs work well for me

use bluegill as bait!

X2

That and upsize your lure selection.  Bigger jigs, swimbaits, larger soft plastics, etc.

Bluegill wake bait like Tru-Tungsten or if your budget can afford a Mattslures hard bluegill floater. Make sure your tackle is up to speed to both cast lures and handle the larger bass.

The bass you watched was telling you what it wants to eat, listen to it.

WRB

Thanks for all the replies I appreicate it very much and I am going to try em all (at least the ones I can afford, Mattslures look great, but $50 for one is kinda steep, but if it worked, it would be worth every penny!!!). I will be heading up there again soon and will try some bigger lures. Because now that it was mentioned most of the stuff I have is not real large except for some buzzbaits and some big spinnerbaits. But I have tried some Senko's rigged wacky style and didn't have any luck with the big one. But I am going to research all the lures given as advice.

But if I am able to get her, I will definetly post a pic of her on here for all to see and let you know what I was able to get her on.

Fish a 10" Power worm or buzzer at night. Darkness gives you a big advantage fishing a pond. Good luck.

WRB

Uhh... live bluegill? ;)

X2

And as far as lures a 10" worm and a Frog are best.

I lean away from live bluegill for big pond bass because I don't feel it is as cool to catch it on live bait but either will work.

Also if you have experience with jigs then they will work.

I've got a few ponds too where I'm still trying to catch the monster of the pond  ;D

Big lures or sometimes a weedless jig right through the heaviest cover. Make sure you have strong line if you do this.