Sign in to follow this  
Sharkbite

What Does High Pressure and Low Preassure Mean

Hey guys I been reading a few articles and they said the bass were under low pressure. Other articles would say the fish are under high pressure. I never used this term before nor have I heard it much so never bothered to ask.  So what does it mean?

I also would like to know somethings about structer. What is the difference from a stump and isolated stump? Is a laydown a fallin tree?

Thanx John

Are you talking about fishing pressure or barometric pressure?

Stumps and lay downs are cover not structure

An isolated stump is a stump all by its lonesome and yes a lay down is a fallen tree.

Look up at the top of this page and click on Favorite All Time Threads and read all of them ;)

Ok thank you the article said the fish were under low pressure what does that mean

Ok dude there is a major disconnect some where because the statement the fish were under low pressure is taken out of context so I can not determine if the author is talking pressure from other anglers or pressure from the weather.

Low pressure from other anglers means there were very few people fishing or high pressure from other anglers means there were a lot of people fishing.

As for weather think of it this way, low barometric pressure is when it's raining while high barometric pressure is clear skies.  

The term "High Pressure refers to a High Barometric Pressure Weather System on place over the area which will be seen as  blue skies, light or north west winds and probably cooler temperatures than have been in place the past few days. The high pressure will be behind the blue pointy line on the weather map. Fish are normally difficult to catch in these conditions.

A "Low Pressure Barometric Weather Area" is normally known as increasingly coudy skies, south or southwest winds, and an approaching cold front (the approaching pointy blue line on the weather map.) These are normally associated with more active fish with a larger strike zone. I have said it many times. When you see jet contrails in the sky--this is a great indicator of an approaching front with a dropping barometer which means the bass will probably be more active. I talked with a taxidermist who said most all the BIG bass photos he was shown, the anglers were in their rain gear, it may not have been raining right then but the anglers were ready for it. To me this means when the weather starts turning rainy--GO FISHINGi

Cat nailed it as far as the pressure business goes. Your stump reference though, is cause for confusion as well. Structure is defined as a change in bottom configuration. A drop off, long point or hump. That and only that is structure (Buck Perry, circa 1960). A stump or some other object on that structural difference is called a "break" on that structure. A primary break can be a stream cut, road bed or a line of house foundations, etc., on or about that structural element.

A tree or stump along that break is a "break on a break". These should be regarded as sign posts, which bass use to navigate their migrations from deep to shallow water and vice versa.

Some bass do remain shallow for a good portion of their lives. But that is only because they have a very quick access to deep water, should they need it and the food supply is sufficient to keep them shallow for extended periods of time. And by "deep" water, what I am referring to, is a relative term, with regards to any given body of water. Sometimes this could be a 2' change in depth in a real shallow pond or river, to as much as a 20' change in a reservoir.

You would do well to go to the library and take out Perry's book, "Spoonplugging". You can also buy this book online. It's worth it's weight in gold and will clarify structure explanations in clear, concise details. And a lot better than I've attempted to do here! :)

wow thanks guys you really know yuor stuff.  I always thought it was better to fish during nice weather.  Is there any other info I should know on this topic?

When the weather changes alot, like starting in late fall and winter, you see lots of low pressure conditions arise.    When this happens, the bite or the pattern ican be and usually is very unstable.

Summer, the high pressure days set in, with very few weather changes, thus you get into to stable patterns that may last for months.    

As for pressure, it depends on lake depths and time of the year the weather patterns change as to how much it effects the fish.

When a front passes, a low pressure condition will arise.    

The atomospere is exerting pressure upon the water.    Fish that are shallow or live shallow are effected the most because they can't adjust by moving down in the water column.      Where as a fish that lives deep can move up or down in the water column to adjust to the water pressure being exerted upon their swim bladders.      

Agree with Catt. Pressured bass usually means just that; high traffic, the bass are being pounded by a lot of fishermen. The barometer issues are a topic that could fill a book and we still would not agree as to the direct affects on bass. Generally low pressure is a downward change of a few millibars of atmospheric pressure, high pressure is the opposite. Frontal conditions are related to pressure changes, however also with temperature changes, IE; cold front is the back end of a cold weather system; cold air being pushed by higher pressure.

The primary affect of lower atmospheric pressure is clouds are usually associated with it and higher humidity combined with lower light, can increase activity, the opposite is true with high pressure; brighter light due to wind clearing the air, can decrease activity.

Structure to me is anything on or above water or the lake bottom that is permanent. Cover is something that grows or floats on or in the water.

We will never agree on terminology, it's regional; like grass and weeds.

WRB

wow thanks guys you really know yuor stuff. I always thought it was better to fish during nice weather. Is there any other info I should know on this topic?

Nice weather for fishing: cloudy, drizzly, windy ( but not too much, it makes manuevering the boat difficult ).

Nice weather for pleasure boating, water skiing, jet skiing, swimming: clear bluebird skies, sunny, dead calm.

Why the "lousiest" weather is better for fishing ?:

1.- You got the lake for yourself

2.- The only lunatics that will be at the lake will be people like you

3.- The "nice weather" fishermen will not be at the lake.

wow thanks guys you really know yuor stuff. I always thought it was better to fish during nice weather. Is there any other info I should know on this topic?

Nice weather for fishing: cloudy, drizzly, windy ( but not too much, it makes manuevering the boat difficult ).

Nice weather for pleasure boating, water skiing, jet skiing, swimming: clear bluebird skies, sunny, dead calm.

Why the "lousiest" weather is better for fishing ?:

1.- You got the lake for yourself

2.- The only lunatics that will be at the lake will be people like you

3.- The "nice weather" fishermen will not be at the lake.

I resemble that remark ;)

C 'mon Catt, you gotta admit it, "sane" people don 't go round spending thousands of dollars in gear, hundreds of hours of valuable time under the worst conditions possible in the pursue of a green fish that sometimes prove to be a lot harder to catch than you think and most times smaller than what you would like it to be.

Well, let 's not say "lunatic" ....... how about "obsessed" ? ( which in a certain way is a form of insanity )

And we call that "fun".  :D

If you could control the weather, moon phase and traffic pressure, you would fish during a light drizzle, warm temperature, little to no wind, around the 2 days before and after the full moon, during the day. At night you would clear the sky and keep everything else in place.

Since we can't control weather, we try to fish on week days when those conditions are present, weekends if we must.

Lunatics live in Minnesota; the state bird and insect.

Obsessed, yabetcha we are dedicated or addicted to bass fishing.

High pressure is you can't get a kitchen pass, low pressure is when you are on the water.

WRB

Yea ditto I am addicted and obsessed.  The lakes are calling me I can't wait to get out there.

Here's something I found on Barometric Pressure awhile back.

High Pressure

Clear skies

Fish slow down, find cover or go to deeper waters.

Slow down lures and use baits more attractive to fish. Fish in cover and in deeper waters.

Rising Pressure

Clearing or improving

Fish tend to become slightly more active

Fish with brighter lures and near cover. Also fish at intermediate and deeper depths.

Normal and Stable Pressure

Fair

Normal fishing

Experiment with your favorite baits and lures.

Falling Pressure

Degrading

Most active fishing

Speed up lures. Surface and shallow running lures may work well.

Slightly Lower Pressure

Usually cloudy

Many fish will head away from cover and seek shallower waters. Some fish will become more aggressive.

Use shallow running lures at a moderate speed.

Low Pressure

Rainy and stormy

Fish will tend to become less active the longer this period remains.

As the action subsides, try fishing at deeper depths.

Stable: Not subject to sudden or extreme change or fluctuation

Ideal fishing conditions would be stable weather for at least 3 days prior to getting on the lake and continuing 3 days after getting to the lake.  

Raul my wife says she knows when it time for me to go to the lake because I get this far away look in my eyes & this little lunatic smile.

Raul I just looked this up ;)

Lunatic: Suffering from lunacy

Lunacy: Insanity, especially insanity relieved intermittently by periods of clear-mindedness

Does kinda fit huh!

Raul I just looked this up ;)

Lunatic: Suffering from lunacy

Lunacy: Insanity, especially insanity relieved intermittently by periods of clear-mindedness

Does kinda fit huh!

Like a glove.  ;)

High Pressure

Clear skies

Slow down lures and use baits more attractive to fish. Fish in cover and in deeper waters.

Rising Pressure

Clearing or improving

Fish with brighter lures and near cover. Also fish at intermediate and deeper depths.

Fair

Normal fishing

Falling Pressure

Degrading

Most active fishing

Slightly Lower Pressure

Usually cloudy

Many fish will head away from cover and seek shallower waters. Some fish will become more aggressive.

Low Pressure

Rainy and stormy

Ok do you use this when your fishing?  So the pressure has alot to do with the fish patterns then huh?

High Pressure

Clear skies

Rising Pressure

Clearing or improving

Fair

Normal fishing

Falling Pressure

Degrading

Most active fishing

Slightly Lower Pressure

Usually cloudy

Low Pressure

Rainy and stormy

x2 nice input newbie  ;)

Hey guys! Allow me to help any newbies to fishing..alot of people think that when they dont catch anything its because they are using the wrong bait...while there may be some truth to this that really is not the case..unless that person does not have a clue about fishing and tries to catch bass with a piece of lettuce or something. Given that you somewhat have a clue of how to present lures to a fish... there are "2" IMPORTANT THINGS to bass fishing. Location and Weather. Alot of times I will take a look outside before I leave the house. If its beautiful outside, warm, little or no wind..I start looking for other things to do...but if the wind is breezy to brisk, its warm and partly/mostly cloudy..I am going to the lake. If you just love fishing then you can go anytime. Generally I do something else during those beautiful-high pressure system days. Bass are in the "Lock jaw" state. Their strike zone is about the size of an eraser on the end of a No. 2 pencil and I get really frustrated. You pretty much have to throw the lure right between their eyes for them to hit it. This is difficult to do because the fish are tightly positioned to cover/structure and putting the lure in the strike zone can be as hard as finding a needle in a haystack. I love those days when the weather is right...in the mid-late spring the action picks up..post-spawn is in place and pretty much any kind of plastic bate is a reliable catch but pretty much anything will catch fish. A majority of the fish are still in the shallows or shallow-mid depth and they are crusing at these depths busting small baitfishes (perch/shad/minnows) that are in the area. My favorite areas during these situations are 2-6 feet deep, with lots of grass or hydrilla where the baitfish are trying to hide. Stumps or fallen in trees is always a bonus as well. Its a huge adrenaline rush when your bait hits the water and you see a wake moving towards your bait. These are the best times of fishing. Just a personal advisory...unless you are bored out of your mind...avoid fishing on the beautiful days and spend time with the family or something along those lines...otherwise the work of bending down into your tackle box every 15 minutes or so to switch baits and acquiring that beautiful red tint to your skin that comes back to haunt you later when you get home and continues to throughout most of the next day....its just not worth it. Sunscreen only does half the job in my opinion..you still burn. Just think...if you stay home that day and wait the next day could be great! Wouldn't be fun if you had to doctor yourself on the day when you should be on the lake.