Sign in to follow this  
6pointbuck2003

Bass on beds

I am starting to get a few bass on beds. I was out fishing last night. shakey heading a  4" flipin worm. i took about an inch off so i would have a better chance to catch them. I was watching them take it in but when i set the hook no one was home. Any ideas what to do? what works for yall on beds?

I'm going to take a guess here:

When reacting to sighted takes, and takes on a short line, you have to wait for the fish to suck it in, expel the water, and clamp down. It takes a couple full seconds. Wait for it.

what works around here is a tube not huge but not tiny, rig it regular and i know this may sound stupid but put a piece of alka seltzer in the tube. when it gets on bottom and the alka seltzer starts fizzing it drives the bass crazy. try it out. it works

Paul i was waiting for around 2-3 seconds should i wait longer? It could have just been bad luck

Iset the hook as they are engulfing it. I absolutley do not wait. Litteraly, I hook them within 1 second of them taking it as long as I can see whats going on. If I cant see good I swing when I know she has it. Why would you wait? Use better hooks and heavier line and hit them hard. Be ready and cocked, Know when she is going to bite and swing as she is bitting. If you wait it will end up costing you.

Bass do not have hands so where exactly do you think the bait is?

This is the way Shaw Grigsby put it to me, its call the three tap theory.

The first tap the bass has inhaled your bait

The second tap the bass has exhaled your bait

The third tap I'm tapping you on the shoulder asking you why you didn't set hook!

I've found if I'm real close and can see the take (on a plastic), if I hit immediately the bait too often pops free -I just pulling it from their mouths. It can be maddening. I find if I wait, maybe 1 or 2 seconds, I hook them. Always assumed this is a handling time thing. This is also if I am right on top of them on a short line. A bit further out and not being able to see things as clearly, reaction time, and probably some line stretch makes up for this short delay I seem to need on a short line.

Then again, I don't have nearly the experience bed fishing as Matt does, so maybe I'm wrong on why that seems to happen.

It could be your hooks or your baits. I always have exposed hooks and usualy some kind of exposed smaller treble hook, like a size 4

I generaly bed fish with 3 different baits. My soft gills, jig, and a little bait. I will work them insuccesion untill I get the reactions I am looking for. It all deoends on the fish. IMO long lures like worms or lizzards are the worst possible bed baits. Fish know your there and they see the hook and line and they will pick up the bait by the tails without having the hooks in thier mouths. I dont give them that option. When they pick up my bait , they are going to have an xhvy VERY sharp hook in their mouth and I hit them hard. If your using a light wire hook or a cheaper one you just might not be getting enough penatration to keep the fish on. Dont get me wrong I have dumped a fish or two, but usualy It is hard to get the female to pick up the bait again after she has felt it and taisted it. Males are stupid and it doesnt matter, they will hit it again on the next cast. Females may only pick the bait up once so you have to be ready and you have to hit them fast and hard with a good powerful rod on hvy line. unless of course you get them on the little bait  :D then its scary.

Where i was fishing was a shallow point. water  is aprox 1-2 FOW. there are a few pockets of weeds. you can see them on their beds. Matt what bait would you recomend? size of bait? size of  hook?

The spawn is almost over down here in Louisiana and I had similar problems this year. I have to go with matt on sayin that you should set the hook as quickly as possible because I've found that the females were not hitting my bait to consume it. The females would simply grab it and carry it off their beds as quickly as they could.  The bait that I recomend would be a 6 inch lizard that matches the grass or color of the water with a very light weight 1/16 or no weight at all. This is very difficult to fish in the wind but it has brought me great luck in the spring on spawnig bass.  One more important thing is to try a new hook maybe. I personally prefer a Mister Twister 3 or 4 ought keeper hook. It gives a great hookset and I very rarely miss a fish on them. Stick the stem directly into the head of the lure you plan on fishing and hook the hook part into the underside just like a normal hook.  The reason the hook gives a good hookset is beacause the stem pops off causing the hook to go through the bait more efficiently. Try this setup. I believe it will bring you good luck. ;)

here is a picture of the hook so you can kind of get an idea of what I'm talking about

post-20557-130163011932_thumb.jpg

I always start big and then work my way smaller. I also always start agresive and ease up when I need to. I DO NOT throw any type of plastic worm or lizzard at them when they are on their beds. There are much better baits. I make my own jigs and they are heavy 1/2 ounce with EWG hook and no weed gaurd. My tiny baits are usualy some type of soft plastic fish or small grub. I will either dropshot them with gammies or owners mosquito hooks. Anytime I am bedfishing my baits are rigged so the second they engulf the bait I can stick them. Big hooks are not aways better. Strong sticky sharp hooks are ideal.

Of course the most important thing is being able to read the fish.

I had good luck  sight fishing this weekend at Smith Mtn. lake with a white jig. I use the white mainly for my visibilty. Some were more agressive than others as always, but the really stubborn ones, I would lightly bump them with my jig a few times until they got mad enough to pick it up, then, it was eye crossing time!