Sign in to follow this  
bigtimfish

just a reminder!!!

I see this a lot and it bothers me. if you catch a bass 10 pounds plus, PLEASE hold the fish up with two hands. a fish with that type of weight can easily get jaw damage just by being held up like that. it still needs to eat after it is (hopefully) released.

Touchy subject here as some guys will take it the wrong way. Be prepared for the PETA comments.  ::)

I know what you're saying and agree though.  :)

Touchy subject here as some guys will take it the wrong way. Be prepared for the PETA comments. ::)

I know what you're saying and agree though. :)

there shouldnt be a reason for this to be a touchy subject.and how could anyone take it the wrong way? i enjoy catching fish and if a fish cant eat because its jaw is screwed up then nobody can catch that sowbelly again.

I posted a thread about a year ago stating that improper leveraging of a bass' jaw could damage them and kill them. Several individuals immediately screamed 'PETA', taking offense like someone called their mother names. Most people got the point; some didn't.  

Would the laws of physics be different for a 1# bass as compared to a 10#?  Same gravitational pull on a smaller but on a smaller frame.

Fyi, some species here in Florida cannot be taken out of the water to dehook or photograph(unclear if it's in violation , but frowned upon)organs are unstable and can injure or kill, tarpons and large groupers.

That has never been a big problem for me. ::) but I do know what you are talking about and we must take care of the fish. Sir I can't take my eye's off your avatar. :o

Would the laws of physics be different for a 1# bass as compared to a 10#? Same gravitational pull on a smaller but on a smaller frame.

That's a good question! I hope somebody answers that one. I'm quite curious myself.

Would the laws of physics be different for a 1# bass as compared to a 10#? Same gravitational pull on a smaller but on a smaller frame.          yes, i do believe it would make a difference.

Fyi, some species here in Florida cannot be taken out of the water to dehook or photograph(unclear if it's in violation , but frowned upon)organs are unstable and can injure or kill, tarpons and large groupers.

what does taking photographs of tarpon or grouper have to do with anything on here?

I cant believe this is turned into a physics class, but since were on the subject by definition gravitational pull is the attraction one object has for another object due to the invisible force of gravity. The MASS of an object affects its gravitational pull. So yes a 10 lb bass does have a greater pull than a 1lb bass and has a greater chance of injury if held by one hand. So from now on two hands on the big ones !!!

what does taking photographs of tarpon or grouper have to do with anything on here?

IMO ..........everything.

You are the one that was concerned as to a fish's well being. Is the health of another species less sacred?

There are many southern fisherman that fish for these species as well, not to mention vacationers that want to target them. I believe these other fish may have a smaller population and deserve attention as well.

You are the one that was concerned as to a fish's well being. Is the health of another species less sacred?

There are many southern fisherman that fish for these species as well, not to mention vacationers that want to target them. I believe these other fish may have a smaller population and deserve attention as well.

no  i was just saying that this is a bass forum. im sure tarpon and grouper are great and they deserve to be treated properly too, but im not on here to talk saltwater. im sure there is a different forum for that and that is why im not on it. i bass fish.

Sir I can't take my eye's off your avatar. :o

x2! That's like the best picture ever... (right-click, view image for a little bigger version ;))

If you're gonna hold it up for a horizontal photo, hold them hogs with 2 hands! One at the mouth and one near the tail. What's the worst that can happen? A little slime on your hands?

I don't think you're gonna hurt it too much if you are holding it vertically...

a big x2.

nobody ever said anything bad about another species. yes i totally agree other species should be cared for and managed properly. i just dont understand how tarpon or grouper were even brought up on a topic that had to do with holding large bass up with two hands. :-?

I think he was referencing the fish size and effect on the organs when removed from the water and comparing it to bass. every one just chill.

SirSnookalot wrote on Yesterday at 3:55pm:

You are the one that was concerned as to a fish's well being.  Is the health of another species less sacred?

There are many southern fisherman that fish for these species as well, not to mention vacationers that want to target them.  I believe these other fish may have a   smaller population and deserve attention as well.

.....well said....it may be a bass forum, but all fish all equal in my mind.  bigtim may be talking about bass, but that doesn't mean it cant apply to all fish!!! ( by the way, bigtim, it was brought up bc grouper and tarpon are fish too!! ;))