Sign in to follow this  
Guest the_muddy_man

Gonna spend some time with the smallies this year

Guest the_muddy_man

Hey Ive been spending the last couple of seasons just chasing LMB b/c of

my health it was easier just gettin in the boat and fishin.Now that my surgery fixed things Im gonna hit a couple of spots on the Leigh and Susquahana rivers that you have to walk to The Leigh spots are really great and if you throw anything looking like a minnow or crawfish they hit like freight trains and take you into the main current I CANT Wait I also got a ul rosd and reel and Im going to spend some time on the numerous bluegill strippin holes and ponds in my area LMB still rank #1 for me but I missed my smallie time

Good Luck!Smallies rock!

the_muddy_man,

Once you start catching smallmouth, the largemouth are like carp, kinda fun but disappointing.

I guarantee largemouth will not be #1.

the_muddy_man,

Once you start catchinbg smallmouth, the largemouth are like carp, kinda fun but disappointing.

I guarantee largemouth will not be #1.

As much as I hate to say this, you are right!  BUT, I'll still fish for both!

I'm telling ya muddy man if i had to chose one fish it would be the smallmouth. Pound for pound it is the best fish ,don't get me wrong i love LM bass fishing but SM are hard to beat.  8-) I can't wait till my first river tournement for those bronzebacks. zimmy

i might go after smallies this year too.  what do you smallie fisherman prefer to use while fishin for them?  only place we have smallies here is in the river and i still have not catched anything out there

It's not so much what you use, but where you fish. Smallmouth fishing is all about STRUCTURE and CURRENT. Find the bass and a lot of lures will work: grubs fished on a jig head, Hula Grubs (spider grubs) and Gitzits (3 1/2" tubes) are prime candidates. I you are comfortable with jigs, hair jigs are another option. Suspending jerkbaits, topwater, crankbaits and spinnerbaits are also effective in certain areas.

The key to success is finding the fish.

Oops! I almost forgot the Magic Lure. The Fat Ika does not perform well in swift water, but you may want to give it a try if you are fishing a lake or slow current.  

i might have to move to a different spot then because theres really no structure in the area i'm going to , just a open area with a lil bit of grass and a rocky bottom and pretty strong current

Soft Jerk baits work well.  The zooms hooked texas around that grassy area might be something to try.  All it takes is something to break the flow of the current to hold fish.  A rock may  not seem to big to you but it might break up the flow enough to hold a fish.  Try and find slack water and put your baits in the current going by those areas.  

This is all relative to the size of the river and speed of the flow also.  

Get out there and do it.  That is the fun part! ;D

Jeff