Sign in to follow this  
wvubassfan

Smallies on KY lake

I have a question for you guys. I have always had success with tubes down there and I am heading in April. I was wondering if you guys have had success with Ikas and Senkos at this lake. I usually just spent my time with jerbaits, tubes, cranks and lipless cranks. I am just trying to expand my skillset. For those that have fished it is it worth it or should I just stick to the old reliables. I am really trying to expand my game so any other suggestions for this lake would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Justin

Adding Senkos and Fat Ika to the mix might produce a few more bites. They are my most productive baits for largemouth and I have had some success with smallmouth, especially fishing the Fat Ika.

Fat Ikas and Senkos are probably good choices for the smallies here during April...I haven't really used those lures very much during that time period, but from prespawn all the way through the fall, tubes, grubs, and texas rigged trick worms trick most of my smallmouth.  The tequila sunrise Mizmo Bad Boys are a good choice for the spawning and post spawn smallmouth.  My most successful tubes though are the bluegill color Cabin Creek Salty Critter Gitter tube and the leach color Gitzit Incorporated Fat Gitzit tube.  For grubs, nothing IMO beats bumble bee color (black/yellow swirl), and either black or bumble bee trick worms.  Good luck!

Here's the website I use for water temperatures and fishing reports from the major guides on the lake.  There's not much on here right now since most people haven't been out fishing, but check it often and eventually, once the water warms up a little more, the guides will start talking about the bass fishing:  http://www.explorekentuckylake.com/lakesarea/fishing/reports.htm

I catch some smallies now and then at Ky Lake, altho I am by no means 'good at it'.  All are just beautiful bonuses to my normal LM fishing.  I appreciate them, just not good at zeroing in on them.  I mostly fish south of the 68 bridge, and am told that is some of the better SM water.  Jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, jigs and c-rigs.  Surely someone that knows better than I will come along and respond.  Bud, CJ and others come to mind.

Other thing I might recommend is to find guide Dave Stewart's reports and scour them.  http://www.kentuckylakeguide.com/.

Good luck.  It's a great place to fish, my favorite.

Weather pending,there may still be some smallmouth on the beds in April,especially the first of April.The best post spawn technique for smallmouth around here is a tube dragged slowly on bottom,IMO.Jigs work really well also.I wouldn't say an Ika or senko wouldn't work but keep in mind you will probally find smallmouth in the 10-15 ft. range,usually rocky main lake points or rocky spots along the deeper river channel ledges.

Thanks guys. The guy I am going with fishes the lake at least 10 times a year. It looks like I will be sticking with the tubes for the most part. I guess I will have to sort through My Cabin Creeks and see what colors I have and which ones I need to stock up on.

I would make sure I had green pumkin or road kill with some lime dip for the tail.I really like the BPS 3 1/2 in tender tube with a 3/8 slide in jighead.Just a subjestion.

I use 1/4 oz. and 3/8 oz. slide in jigheads.They can be a little hangy.If I get into real rocky spot I use a pro slider jig head.

3/16oz. slide in jig head.  Helps the small tubes fall at a more natural pace.  I've found that most of the smallmouth bass on KY Lake will spawn closer to the main lake than the largemouth bass would spawn. So you can use a jig head without a weed guard and not worry about the weeds.

The best place to catch Smallmouth in Ky lake is on the old river channel on the LBL side. Sit boat in the deep water and cast to the shallow and retrieve to the drops. I use a 4 inch tube with a slide in head 1/4 or 3/8 oz rigger weedlwss.

If you wants to have some fun use RW live bait method on the Tennessee rive