Sign in to follow this  
Matt Fly

First time poster in smallieville!!!!!!RW????

RW, no disrespect to the other smallie fishermen,   I don't really know the other die hard smallie guys.

RW,

Since the question was asked about lunkers and such.    I was wondering about TX smallies.

We have a few lakes that have been dominant waters for smallies.     What would you say is a trophy smallie for Texas waters?  I have pasted the Texas top 50.     I first said anything over 6lbs, but after looking up the top 50, for Texas, a trophy smallie may be 5 lbs,    what do you think?

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/programs/fishrecords/freshwater/top50_smallmouth.phtml

First time into the smallie world.    Never been on this side of the river before!!!!

Matt

In general, I think all bass get interesting at about 3 lbs.

I consider a 5 lb smallie a great fish (anywhere). To break

the Texas record would be a HUGE accomplishment,

7.93 is a monster!

So, I think 5lbs in Texas can certainly be described as a "Trophy Fish."

I can't say about Merideth, she is a lake up in the Texas panhandle, but Whitney has had the golden algae blooms the past few years.

I knew what effect it had on other species, but can't tell you how the Algae bloom effected smallies on Lake Whitney.

Anything in the Brazos river chain was effected by the Golden Algae Blooms.

May have something to do with the peak.     I don't here much about small mouth fishing in Texas.

As you can see, Ron Gardner was the man on Whitney, and I'm not sure about Merideth.

I just recently heard of some good small mouth catches on OH Ivey, been very good for LM's, but small mouth have been the ticket to concentrate on during the tournaments held in recent months.      Actually, seems to me, guys who have some knowledge on smallie's are the ones coming in with a 5 bass limit and are the ones in the money.

Matt

Matt,

Your old stomping grounds are good smallie waters.  Belton and Stillhouse produce large numbers of smallies and a good number of "nice" ones.  Our lake records are in the middle 6 lb range (Belton 6.43 lbs and Stillhouse 6.75 lbs.)  but we catch a surprising percentage of SM in the 3-4 lb range.

FWIW, I do consider a 5 lb smallie to be a trophy fish for this area and all of Texas for that matter.

-Keith

Without a doubt a 5lb'er would be a trophy in TX. I have not caught a certified 5 but caught a lot of 4 lb'rs.

This year has been very good for larger smallies on Belton.  

My best smallie came from Wyoming, on a black Panther Martin In-Line Black Spinner w/gold blade in winter.    4lbs.

I have caught some smallies on accident at Belton with tubes rigged TX style, smoked w/ red flake.    3/16ths bullet.    Nothing of size.    I have caught numerous smallies in the river behind Whitney.    I normally walk and float the Brazos in the summer.

Ultra lites and 1/8 oz buzzbaits all day will catch 40 fish days, and thats the small number.    Top water on Gin clear waters is a beautiful sight to see a bass coming from 20 yards to hit it.    

We have a bass that we think crossed.   WE call them mean mouths, they are on the small side, but on ultra lites and 4lb test, they are pure fighting machines, not too mention, theres current to fight also.

Matt

Keith,

I wished I still lived in that area.    My goal would be to get a smallie in the Texas Top 50.      

Matt