Sign in to follow this  
justfishin

Excuse me RW.

Sorry about the ref to XT Trilene RW. I really don't use the stuff much except on the river in Washington DC because of the d**n Zebra Mussels. I just wanted to bring it up because XT is some tough stuff to be sure. To make you feel better I really like the 6lb line we talked about a few years ago. Never lost a fish on it yet. It seems that I do have to spray this line before each outing though. It can get a little kinky until its wet. It cast well though and like I said, I have yet to lose a smallie on it and I have caught some good ones in some bad conditions and quick water. :)

No problemo.

I was using some #4, too, but no more for smallmouth!

I'll still might fish the smaller diameter for trout on the

White River, but I want a little margin for error on the

Tennessee.

8-)

I use XT also and everyone laughs at me for it. The line isnt the best but it simply does not break and when I fight fish that get into fast river current, you need some strong line. The line seems like rope more then fishing line haha but ive never lost a fish or had a problem catching fish with it so I figure why switch. If your going plastics or finesse fishing, XT is obviously not the way to go.

I see what you mean RW. I tried #4 on the mean old Susquehanna River, as well. It just will not hold up in the fast current and sharp rocks. I would imagine after the experiance you had recently with the " Big Boy ", it would make anyone gun shy of light line. I really don't think it was you by what you said, just, as you said, a overlooked line check. Trust me, we all do it. Live and learn. Hope you get that bruiser my friend.----Jim

P.S.- Don't laugh but, I have had alot of fish caught on that junkie old BPS green #8 Excel. Its not the best line and a little stretchy for summer line but,in the winter months when the big boys bite, it has always been very reliable for me. I used to line all my clients rods with the stuff. Of course I put new line on about every other trip but hey, its cheap and works.

Well, I'm spooled up with brand new #6 original Hybrid on two

spinning rods for an outing tomorrow. We will not have good

water, so here's the plan:

My main rod might be used with an X-Rap early, but it's still my split

shot rig.

#2 Main soft plastics rod: Maybe a Silver Buddy and a GYCB Single

Tail Grub, but mostly a jig with a Flappin' Hog trailer.

#3 Baitcaster, #12 Hybrid: Ledgebuster Single Willow Blade

spinnerbait.

We will be fishing the channel drop exclusively, all day.

So, what do you think?

8-)

Sounds good to me. I like the Ledgebuster idea.  I know you all throw live bait but, I would not be afraid to put a green pumpkin Zoom Centipede on a 1/4oz mojo rig, its worth a try. Also, I have been experimenting with the drop shot more and more in deep water. Even though its definitly not my first choice I have caught some good ones drop shoting deep water with a smoke/blue flake Zoom 4" finese worm. Good luck and I will see you in the Mag's with your new record, at least thats what I wish for you. We have a windy, very cold front going through here and the river is all trashed up full of dead grass and leaves. Been tough. I am waiting for the December-Jan. bite and water to get around 36-38, it can be magic. Are you fishing a rockpile you are seeing on the depthfinder or is it just a hard bottom drop off? Just curious.

Well, I'm mostly focused on fishing a particular one mile stretch.   ::)

Otherwise, just about the entire first 15 miles or so below the Pickwich Dam has gravel bars associated with the channel on the "inside" of the river. So, regardless of whether there is additional cover or not, there is always structure.

Our "normal" pattern is to fish the gnarly stuff on the "outside" of the river. However, we have to have good water (20K+ cfs) to fish the rocks.  Without fast, high water, it doesn't hold bigger fish. Most importantly, without the right current it's nearly impossible to fish without hanging-up on nearly every cast.

8-)

I see what you mean RW. You have to rely on the dam release. We have a similar situation here I guess. I go to NOAA and check the river GPM's, flow rates and depths of certain areas before I go here. Those numbers save me alot of time and effort as from experiance, as I am sure you know, it lends you to make a plan for the day and where and why to fish a area. Good luck and from what I have read I would not fix it if its not broke. You were doing all the right stuff or you would not have hooked him. I am picturing you as Capt Ahab. D***n thee great brown smallmouth !!!, I spit my last breath at thee for hates sake !!!, LOL. Have fun my friend.---Jim :)

I go to NOAA and check the river GPM's, flow rates and depths of certain areas before I go here.

Is there a difference between NOAA and USGS information regarding the flow information? I've been using the USGS information for fishing the Potomac but they keep eliminating the gauges I use.

>:(