Sign in to follow this  
SmokeRise1

?? Speed clips on Traps

Is it better to remove the split-ring from a rat-l-trap and just attach a speed clip or should I keep the split-ring and tie directly to it?

I occasionally use speed clips with Traps and do not remove the split ring. I can't tell any difference in performance with the clip or tying to the split ring. I only use the clip if I carry a limited amount of rods and will not have several rods rigged with different weight Traps.

I occasionally use speed clips with Traps and do not remove the split ring. I can't tell any difference in performance with the clip or tying to the split ring. I only use the clip if I carry a limited amount of rods and will not have several rods rigged with different weight Traps.

Wayne, Are you clipping to the ring or directly to the lure?

To the split ring. It wouldn't make any sense to use the clip on the body eye with the split ring in place and it wouldn't fit if you wanted to.

I use to use them because it was so easy to change crank sizes, colors etc. But then i hooked into a nice size fish one day on a trap and it bent out and i lost the fish and my trap!!!!  >;)

Needless to say, i don't use them anymore!

I've used the clips with cranks, twisted wire spinnerbaits, and lipless cranks with line up to 50# test catching bass up to 8# with no problems with performace. They are somewhat difficult to use with cold fingers though.

I use Duo-Locs and no split ring.

I use them only when I am experimenting with weight and color while searching for productive water.  When in a club tournament I tie directly to the o-ring.