Sign in to follow this  
SammyLee

Swimsenko and line twist

I'm full of questions I know. My wife would probably say I'm full of something else too. Anyway, I got up and hit the neighborhood lake at 6:30 slinging a watermelon swimsenko parallel to the bank just outside and into the snotgrass. I had caught 6 in the first hour. I was fishing this thing almost like a topwater with a pretty fast retrieve. Between number 4 and number 5 I had a heck of a snarl on my spinning reel. I got it cleaned up but then watched the senko action.

It was rolling over and over on retrieve. I assumed it was the way I had rigged the bait, Texas style. Specifically, I figured I had the hook off center from the very bottom of the bait. I re-rigged being very careful to get it directly on center. Same result, it spins. I must have rehooked that thing a dozen times with no luck.

So two questions. What am I doing wrong or is this just part of the deal with swimsenkos. Also, what can I do to get the twist out of my line.

But hey, any day that starts with six bass before breakfast is a good day, for darn sure. I was bank fishing and doing better than the boaters! Guess where I'll be just before sundown today?

I usually will fish a swivel about a foot up the line and run a leader to the worm. The swivel will allow it to spin with out twisting the line ; )

Nature of the beast with spinning reels.Specially with cheaper ones.

Close the bail manually by hand,pull line tight before retrieving line and add swivels to spinning type lures will reduce your line twist dramatically.

I have a cheaper set up with braided line and I've yet to have any problems with line twist.If I'm worried about the fish seeing my line I'll add a fluorocarbon leader in clear water.

Heck, Grimlin, it's the best reel and rod I've ever had.  A Shimano Saros 2500F with a St. Croix rod running red cajun 6#.

I will surely try the swivel but I can't do any better on the reel.

Thanks.

Sammylee

Nature of the beast with spinning reels.Specially with cheaper ones.

Close the bail manually by hand,pull line tight before retrieving line and add swivels to spinning type lures will reduce your line twist dramatically.

I have a cheaper set up with braided line and I've yet to have any problems with line twist.If I'm worried about the fish seeing my line I'll add a fluorocarbon leader in clear water.

SammyLee

How about a keel weighted hook w/keeper. If you like fishing it up a little higher in the water column, a lighter weight will work to prevent the bait from rolling over and still allow the bait to run up near the surface. That rig has worked for me. A bit of added weight will help increase casting distance especially if there is a bit of a breeze.

Also it is fun fighting bass on #6 line . . . . . ;)

A-Jay

What A-Jay said.  If the swim senko is spinning, it sounds like you need to use a extra-wide gap hook, or even better, and extra wide gap hook with a weight on the shank.  Something that keels the bait.  

The best hook I've used for swim senkos is the Owner 4/0 Twist Lock with a 1/8 oz weight.  The bait does not roll over with that hook.  

What A-Jay said. If the swim senko is spinning, it sounds like you need to use a extra-wide gap hook, or even better, and extra wide gap hook with a weight on the shank. Something that keels the bait.

The best hook I've used for swim senkos is the Owner 4/0 Twist Lock with a 1/8 oz weight. The bait does not roll over with that hook.

Amen brother, amen!