Sign in to follow this  
quanjig

Deep Hooked Fish

I read somewhere citrus softdrinks stop the bleeding. Anyone try it?

Fish blood clots the instant it hits the water. I have caught two fish where a gill was severed at the head, and trailed out beyond the gill plate. In the case of the bass, the gill that was severed was white. Yesterday, I caught a pickerel with one of its gills hanging out beyond the gill plate and it was pink.

The next time you have a bleeding fish, watch what happens when a drop of its blood hits the water. Instantaneous coagulation.

Think I read that in a Bass Masters magazine once.

Has something to do with the citric acid strengthening the blood vessels, I believe.

oh. nice sig.

Yes this works, the acid in the soft drink helps clot the blood, last sunday in a tournament i hooked a 14in fish deep got the hook out and poured a little Coke on the wound and tossed him in the live well, and the fish was perfectly fine!

Soft drinks aren't made for animals. I would never advocate such a thing. You could be doing more harm than good, and not even know it.

Instead, use "Please Release Me" formula. It's specifically designed for injured fish. Put a pinch of it on the wound, and some in the livewell. That will ensure the fish has the best chance of survival, rather than chancing it with a soft drink.