Sign in to follow this  
deermaster

going to gander mnt. tell we what plastics and colors to get

id appreciate some advice.  i would like some basic advice on shapes/sizes and color to get for t rigging, that would cover most water and cover situations.   im ready to buy several bags, and want to get what i really need.  thanks for any help

wow this is very broad but this should get you on a good foot....

depending on water... if its clear or light stained try to stick to browns, greens, and realistic colors... watermelon seed, green pumpkin, etc.

if your fishing dark murky water.... dark colors like junebug or even black at times...

As for type of baits... Thats what makes bass fishing unique... So many choices

Id say get some

craws... ex strike king rage craw or netbait paca craw

ribbontail worms... probably powerbait and gander mtn

senkos... either Gary Yammys or Yum dingers.. not sure what else gander has cause i dont have one....

and maybe some creature baits... and the choices are endless for that...

Just look around this site and there are plenty of talks about the "best" of each of these type baits...

Good luck!! 8-)

The monkey has gotten another!

Best advice I can give is to re-think your trip.

If there is a Bass Pro or even Cabela's close by, head there instead.

I have all 3 within an hour of me and Bass pro put the other 2 to shame.

Cabela's a distant second and Gander Mountain not worth my time.

The latter 2 seem more geared to hunting in this area but could be different by you. And don't expect Cabela's to have in the store what they have in the catalog. BPS often has much more than what is in the catalog. Or maybe save a trip altogether and shop online.

BPS and Tackle Warehouse get my vote there. Cabela's O.K also.

To answer your question would require a book. I'm sure one of the mods can put up a link to help you out.

Can't advise you types and colors but GM here in Indy is running a 20% off sale on all plastics.

i know its a broad topic, and ill be getting mostly personal opinions, but thats great, ill take any advice.

the gander mtn. here is actually the better choice in my area, beating out dicks and bps.  they have a huge selection, but i appreciate the advice anyway, i guess all areas are different.

thanks for the responses!

we really need to know what kind of water you are going to be fishing in order to give some good detailed tips..green pumkin is a good color that will cover most conditions...i would get trick worms, some kind of 4-5 inch finesse worm, some type of senkos, a bag of flukes in smokin shad or pearl, and some rage tail craws... is there some reason you only want to know good baits for texas rigging? i would deff pick up some shakey heads if you havent tried them and some dropshot weights...these two techniques will catch fish when nothing else will...

i read thatshakey heading was best in non weedy and light weeds.  is this true?  i fish fairly heavy weeds so i kinda dismissed it.  i also fish shallow water, 12 ft being about the deepest, so i never really tried drop shotting.  thanks for the replies.

Zoom trick worms: Green pumpkin green flake, Motor oil; rigged with no weight and weedless

Zoom finesse worms: Watermelon red flake; rigged with no weight and weedless

Yamamoto Senkos: Watermelon red flake; rigged with no weight and weedless

Zoom Mag finesse worms: Watermelon red flake; rigged with no weight and weedless

Culprit 7.5" ribbon tails: Red shad, Motor oil; rigged with a 1/16 or 1/8 once sinker and weedless

-gk

-gk

GM has a house brand line of plastics that include 4" and 5" "Trick Sticks". They are not as good of a deal as *** but they are the same bait.  I think they have a slightly different scent too.  Bluegill, Watermelon/red flake and Junebug are a few good colors.

I dropshot in city park ponds that are only 5' deep. So you may want to reconside using that method. As for baits, I couldn't tell ya, but I would look at the ragetail baits, i.e the toad, craw..ect. What's the forage for the bass there..?