Sign in to follow this  
TheMightyQuinn

Buzzbait Question

Hey, quick question. Any idea why my buzzbait runs off to one side. When looking at the bait it tracks to the left. Is this a problem. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks

The blade is turning to one side causing it to veer off. (usually running to the left,(your right?)?) Kind of the reason why a drag car will lift up from the right side first, causing it to run to the left if it was to stay in that initial position. You can use that to your advantage by casting to the side and allowing your bait to bump and run into objects. Or, you could get double proped buzzbaits with two arms with a prop on the end of each, or get one with one arm with a big prop with a small prop turning counter clockwise inside of it. Either one of these will keep your buzzbaits running straight.

http://www.***.com/Persuader_Blade_in_Blade_Buzzbaits_12oz/descpage-PBIB.html

http://www.***.com/Booyah_Bi_You_Buzzbait/descpage-BYBYBB.html

This buzzbait will also propably not run off to one side due to the counter rotating blades

http://www.***.com/Pepper_Custom_Bait_Double_Blade_Buzzbait/descpage-PCDB.html

Another problem may be the alignment of your blades and wire, you can fix much like you would a spinnerbait... But, the bait is most likely performing the way it was made to perform.

The funny thing is, I bought a Strike King Tour Grade buzzbait. If you read Cabela's website it says it's designed to track perfectly straight.

I guess they meant straight to one side, lol.

I know lighter buzzbaits are infamous for this. If it isn't tracking right i would bend the crap out of it. If still not straight, get a heavier one. Double bladed buzzbait tracks great. Heavier Booyahs, Cavitrons, and regular Normans are hard to beat.

Single prop buzzbaits do run off to the side, usually in the rotational direction of the blade due to the amount of torque exerted by the blade. You can compensate that by bending the blade arm horizontally or by drilling holes in the blade itself. Lighter buzzbaits are usually worse that heavier ones, but that does propose a compromise. ;)

I actually like it when they veer to one side or the other. Like bigbassctchr said use it to your advantage. Get parallel to a bank with overhanging trees or to a dock and cast past it and run it up under the cover where they don't normally see a buzzbait. Run it down a treeline and run it into the trees or off stumps and other objects. I can make my bait run around grass clumps and other things like a real baitfish would do if it's tracking to the side, it's a lot harder to do if it's running straight.