Bass Meister

Devil Horse Type Lures

I need advice,especially yours, ;) lol. I am fishing a Heddon Dying Flutter Prop bait. Man O man that thing looks great when worked. I have caught several 5 -7 lbers on it. So why do I need advice. Well,for the past 2 trips (I fish everyday,literally B) ) caught 4 total but dang, I had,not exagerating,at least 20-30 blowups,no hook ups.

The way I work it is: cast out,let it sit; twitch it hard like its wounded,stop and WHAM!!!Big Blowup. I wait to set hook to make sure he's got it. Swing & miss. :( Other times, blow up and lure just pops back up on surface. I reeeeeally like this lure. Help me please increase my hookup ratio.

Try a different color or size! I still like the original devil's horse black or blue back with chrome bottom best!!

Jeff

If the hooks are attached directly to eye screws, add a large split ring. That will enable the hooks to move more freely and get a better hook up. If they are already on split rings, go for the next size up trebles and larger split rings.

Thank you both. Will try both suggestions

Have u tried throwing follow up lures like a fluke or senko that resembles the same color. That's been my best way to get them yeah no big splash but still a fish I get the big splash when they miss then throw a fluke or senko on the swirl in the water and let it sit and hold on 99.9%of the time that fish takes the plastic

Thanks Clayton 86. Sum1 else suggested the same thing. gonna try it 2moro if we dont get the storm coming this way here in Richlands, NC. ;)

I had the same problem with that bait so I switched to the Boy Howdy. I sits with the tail down in the water. I got many more hookups that way. So maybe you should add a bit of weight to the back and see if that helps.

Yeah, those got the old hook hangers, they're like a crowbar in a door. Once a bass gets leverage, forget it, they're unbuttoned. You can release the screws and take off the hooks and add split rings in a snap. I never could understand why Heddon keeps putting them on. :unsure:

Jigfishn10... I did the split ring a few minutes ago and am going out to my backyard pond and try it out. I ended up buying 2 more Heddon Dying Flutters: the COACHDOG & the BULLFROG color. I had the BASS colored one which was the one I have been questioning. Great hits but Eastern Outfitters where I bought them were out. I had to replace it due to the fact, that when I tried to take off the back hook/prop, it snapped off :angry: . Now the 2 I brought home ,one came off just great but I am having the same difficulty trying to get the other one off. Scared to turn it real hard for fear of breaking that one. They are $6 a pop. Any advice or should I just leave the back one alone on that one :huh: . I was able to unscrew the middle hook and put the split ring on it. Thank all of you guys sooo much. Bass Meister

Jig Man,if the above doesnt work, I will add a weight ;)

On topwaters, I seem to catch more on the middle hook anyway. Don't screw around with the rear hook too much if you can't get it off. Those props can be a bit tricky if they're not set right. On the other one, if the prop is still good, you can get a new screw eye @ you local hardware store. It will serve the purpose.

Sometimes they will "ram" it a few times to "finish it off". Maybe try waiting after they blow up on it, and twitch it a few more times, see what happens.

...I had to replace it due to the fact, that when I tried to take off the back hook/prop, it snapped off :angry: . Now the 2 I brought home ,one came off just great but I am having the same difficulty trying to get the other one off. Scared to turn it real hard for fear of breaking that one. They are $6 a pop. Any advice or should I just leave the back one alone on that one :huh: . I was able to unscrew the middle hook and put the split ring on it. Thank all of you guys sooo much. Bass Meister

It's usually better to not mess with the hardware on the bait - just cut off the original hooks, then add the split rings and new hooks...

Jigfishn10... I did the split ring a few minutes ago and am going out to my backyard pond and try it out. I ended up buying 2 more Heddon Dying Flutters: the COACHDOG & the BULLFROG color. I had the BASS colored one which was the one I have been questioning. Great hits but Eastern Outfitters where I bought them were out. I had to replace it due to the fact, that when I tried to take off the back hook/prop, it snapped off :angry: . Now the 2 I brought home ,one came off just great but I am having the same difficulty trying to get the other one off. Scared to turn it real hard for fear of breaking that one. They are $6 a pop. Any advice or should I just leave the back one alone on that one :huh: . I was able to unscrew the middle hook and put the split ring on it. Thank all of you guys sooo much. Bass Meister

Why bother unscrewing the eye hooks? Just cut the darn hook eye with a pair of side cutters.

I know a semi-professional fisherman named Danny Inabnett. He fishes the Bassmaster Weekend series. He's won many state and nationwide tournaments. His favorite bait is a devils horse. The other day when i went fishing with him, he kicked my butt. His first three fish were a 2.5 lber, a 6lber., and an 8.5 lber. He is the b est with a devils horse i have ever seen. He also gave me some helpful hints. First add a split ring to the hooks. Also replace the normal hooks with 4 ought EWG (extra wide gap) hooks. Last but not least he also said just to reel down and pul up till you feel the fish. A slam of a hookset is not needed. I hope this helps you, it definitely helped me.

Chip

I need advice,especially yours, ;) lol. I am fishing a Heddon Dying Flutter Prop bait. Man O man that thing looks great when worked. I have caught several 5 -7 lbers on it. So why do I need advice. Well,for the past 2 trips (I fish everyday,literally B) ) caught 4 total but dang, I had,not exagerating,at least 20-30 blowups,no hook ups.

The way I work it is: cast out,let it sit; twitch it hard like its wounded,stop and WHAM!!!Big Blowup. I wait to set hook to make sure he's got it. Swing & miss. :( Other times, blow up and lure just pops back up on surface. I reeeeeally like this lure. Help me please increase my hookup ratio.

As mentioned change the hooks and use split rings on any older lure design with the screw eyes or hangers. I would also try Owners feathered size 2 treble on the rear hook. The bass will tend to target the feathered end of the lure and you will have a higher strike to hook up ratio.

Don't react to the strike by trying to instantly hook set with the rod, reel set by cranking the line tight and sweeping the rod back. Premium sharp hooks will set themselves.

Good luck.

Tom

Men, dont take this the wrong way, but I love you guys. I have been reading many posts on this site and it doesnt matter how simple the question,or how complex,the forum kicks in with advice that always seems to be the answers. I am truly glad we are here for each other. I will, as stated previously, put all these suggestions to task. I'm really looking forward to incorporating them and transforming them into SUPERPROP,lol

After incorporating some of the advice here, I have not missed a single fish. 3 days in a row I caught my limit and then some :D I really love the Heddon dying flutter COACHDOG.

I dont let it sit as some have suggested. Whenit immediately hits the water, I shake the rod hard giving the lure a frantic,dying look. Its when I stop it is when I get the hit. Man o Man its great action. Thank all of you for your input. ;) Bass Meister