Sign in to follow this  
The Bassinator

Losing Fish On A Top Hook Soft Swimbait

I been fishing this storm wildeye shiner or whatever its called with the easy change jighead and Ive been losing some fish. I tried to bow to them when they jump but sometimes they just spit it. Is there anything I can do to increase my hookup to landing ratio or is this just the nature of swimbait fishing?

Keep the rod tip low at all times. It will help prevent the fish fom jumping.

Im assuming your giving it a good hookset. Slam that puppy home!

And just enjoy the bites your getting! Ive been getting skunked!

Sometimes it doesn't matter what you do, you're going to loose some fish. I'm not an expert on swimbaits but I've never heard of bowing to them on the jump? Seems like that would just let the bait flop around more and at least make the hook hole bigger and maybe flop out. Keep your rod low and the fish in the water if you can. I'd be trying to keep that line tight if you can. Also knowing what rod/reel/line you're using would help. If the rod is too light or a number of other things isn't right it won't help your chances of landing a fish any.

add an oil based scent attractant to the bait it will let the bait slide in the fishes mouth better and should give you a better hookset

i agree that you should NOT be bowing to the fish when it jumps. i dont know why everyones so afraid of a fish jumping, i bet many of us have lost just as many fish underwater as we have when they jumped out of water. keep the pressure on the fish the whole time, even when it jumps. i dont even adhere to the lower your rod tip philosophy either, i love to see fish jump during the fight myself. just keep the pressure on the fish constantly. when you say you bow to the fish i picture you just standing there not reeling or not working the rod to keep pressure on the fish with a bunch of slack line

Ive tried having the rod tip in the air and having it low and I thought I had too much pressure on the fish because everytime they would spit it the bait came flying at me so I experimented by trying to give it some slack. That I understand now is not the best approach. The rod I was using is a 6'6" med so maybe I should try my MH instead. I was using 12 lb mono which I have had good success with and is not too stretchy. I get a lot of bites with this bait and only landing about half of them is pretty frustrating but Ill change some things up and get back out on the water. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Once you set the hook, point the rod tip down and just reel away. Don't stop till she's in your hands.

Not a fan of swimbaits made from salt water tough "soft" plastics like Storms wide swimbaits.

You need to go up in line strength to 17 lb Big Game and bend the hook gap open using needle nose pliers about 1/8th " outward. Sharpen the hook so the point scratches your finger nail.

Go to a med/hvy 7' rod rated for 20 lb line and 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz lures.

Reel set by cranking fast and sweeping the rod back hard. Keep the bass under control, rod loaded up and no slack line.

Tom

I agree with WRB but I would like to add to it. I try to keep swimbait bassfrom jumping by stabbing my rod tip into the water and reeling them down. This works sometimes but not most of the time. If they are set on jumping, they will jump. So just as they break water, I swing hard to the side and keep cranking. Now instead of jumping straight up shaking their head, they are jumping towards me and they dont get very far out of the water. This gives them much less head shake. when you fight big bass on swimbaits with big enough gear, you fight the fish, you dont play them out and you maintain controll. When you let them have control they can get away. This battle is different then fighting a fish with regular gear. Most swimbaits can be easily thrown and most swimbait fish are decent fish so fight them accordingly

add an oil based scent attractant to the bait it will let the bait slide in the fishes mouth better and should give you a better hookset

This is a good point. I use Smelly Jelly applied with a stick from an ice cream bar. This will lub the bait for better hooksets.