airborne_angler

Problems With Rapala Knot

Had an issue with a Rapala Knot today.Was throwing an XR6 Rapala Xrap and the knot came right out of the split ring.The line itself nor the knot never broke,the line just somehow slid out of the split ring leaving a nice loop on the end of the line.The split ring itself looks to be fine. Anyone ever experience this? Is this common,and if so how do you remedy it?

I only use the rapala knot on a fixed eye like the one on a original floater. I think the rapala knot was designed that way to give better action to the fixed eye baits. The ones w/ the split ring attached to the fixed eye already get the action because of the added split ring.

I only use the rapala knot on a fixed eye like the one on a original floater. I think the rapala knot was designed that way to give better action to the fixed eye baits. The ones w/ the split ring attached to the fixed eye already get the action because of the added split ring.

^^ What he said. No reason to use a loop knot on a split ring. That's like clipping a snap onto a split rig or putting two split rings on a bait. You'll be fine if you just tie a palamar or whatever knot you use directly to the split ring and then you don't have to worry about it slipping!

X3. The main purpose for that knot is for their lures that don't come with a split ring. That said, with a split ring that can happen with any other knot. It is wise to take an occasional look at the ring and knot for this.

Just get rid of the split rings and use duo lock snaps.

Just get rid of the split rings and use duo lock snaps.

Not a bad idea. I've had problems w/ the line sliding into the split ring when tying knots.

I use a loopknot on every lure, I never take the spit rings off and I never use a palomar knot. Loopknot holds everything from bluegill to tarpon without failure, if tied correctly.