Sign in to follow this  
OH-bass614

Cranking Line?

I finally saved up enough money for a new crankbait rod for deeper baits since mine was stolen last summer. I found a fenwick elite tech crankin rod its 7'3" MH and has the 50/50 super delay marked down from 200 to 119. Im hoping it will be enough to handle bigger plugs like DD22's and 6XD's and work well with fat free shads and others. But im a little indecisive about my line. What are your guys favorite lines for this type of crankin? i think i have 15lb seagaur red label on my reel right now.

On a side note has anyone used a pro qualifier for crankin and did you like it. I currently have a quantum energy and its about to bite the dust i think. The 4:9:1 version caught my eye.

Just some good ole' mono. I like Sufix Seige or Sufix Deep Crankin' in both 10 # for it.

And yes, the pq will do well for cranking. I have the Carbonlite ( Uglier, but significantly lighter Pro Qualifier) in 6.4:1 and its easy for me to crank deep. It would be effortless with a 4.9:1. Casts a country mile too.

12lb Suffix Seige here... B)

I use 10 lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid on my deep cranking reel...which just happens to be the PQ in 4.7:1 ratio. In general, the thinner the diameter of the line, the deeper you will run.

More opinions on line for deep cranking can be found at this recent thread: Favorite Line for Deep Cranking

the lower gear ratio PQs are great for cranking.

-gk

I'm using 10 and 12# Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon for my deep cranking.

I have no trouble getting them deep with mono. Plus one for Sufix Seige! But I will also use FC in clear water!

I own both the Revo winch(5.4:1) and a pro qualifier(4.7:1). Can't beat the pro qualifier for the money spent. Its basically the same reel inside for much less cash. Both get the job done with DD22's and 6XD's though. If you plan on just one.crankin rod. I think the PQ handles the lighter baits a bit better. The winch has a more solid feel and the longer handle makes cranking the big ones a bit easier.

There are loads of deep crankin reel choices out there(if your a right handed). It really depends on how much $$$ you want to spend!

ABU 5500C3 and 12# Trilene Big Game mono.

Tom

i use either 12 lb trilene fluorocarbon or 10-12lb stren fluorocarbon

20# power pro and I'm sticken to it! :P